We've been looking into getting the chains that hang near the rear tire for firetrucks, it helps then with icey roads, which we've got a lot during the winter months, just wanted to know who has them or had them and wether or not they help at all.

Views: 248

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have the chains and I have had to use them. They do work and alot easier than the old way. When we ordered our new ambulance and our new rewcue truck we made sure that we spected the on spot chains as well. I would recommend them. Just my opinion. Be Safe..
They are definitely way better than the days of manually putting on tire chains....ahh, the miracles of technology.
We don't have them here. In fact I don't believe any F.D's in my area use them. I'll follow this discussion though because I'd like to learn more about them. Stay safe!
we have the spot chains on all of our engines they are great as long as you make sure they can not be accidentally applied they can tear up a truck quick if its not icy!!
all right thanks, I'm suprised that no one around use have them yet, because every year we here of a local department getting stuck some where on the hills.
We have the spot chains. We use to put chains on when a big storm was forecast and take them off when the roads cleared what a pain. In 2001 we got a new tanker and got the chains on it every truck we have got since then and every truck we get in the future will have them on. It’s been a great time and finger saver and you don’t have to worry about is the storm coming or not. If you need them they are there. All ours have a covered switch to prevent the accidental engagement.
We have automatic chains on our tanker they work great.
We have them and they work great on ice, however in snow 5" or more they are useless. You are better off with the old style tire chains in that case. The automatic chains also need to be part of regular mantainance as far as cleaning and lubercation.
Or dept has them on about half our trucks. They work great for traction on ice and hard packed snow, but not so much in deeper snow 8-12 inches. They do require some preventative maintainence to make shure they stay working when you need them. Especially if your highway dept uses alot of salt or chloride solution.

Later/Stay safe!
Add a little money to your maintence buget for a few spare chain "heads".A loaded Engine will tear them up over time if you use "em much.We go thru a couple sets a winter.Easy to change out though.
They are great, I have used them on ambulances and our new pumper came with them. A lot nicer and easier than the old ones and I think they work just as good.
TJ, We have them on our two engines and I would rather have them than tire chains. The benifit is u use them when you need them. In the thriteen years we have had them I have only used them twice and both times was to get in and out of driveways that was icy and dangerous. If you buy these you wont regret it. Little maintenance and you use them only when you need them. Even school busses have them now. Good luck

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service