Winter is coming sooner than we think. In years past we've had areas where, after a heavy snowfall, the fire hydrants disappear due to ignorant civilians plowing out their driveways and covering them up. In addition to an awareness campaign trying to educate homeowners about the dangers of not keeping the hydrants near their homes unburied, my town has installed steel rods with little flags on top that attach to one of the caps on the hydrant. They easily flex out of the way when opening or closing the hydrant.

Several ajoining towns have done similar things to ensure their hydrants are able to be located after heavy snowfall. I was wondering what other F.D's are doing about this.

Views: 334

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"the next thing ya know if you have sucked a 10 yr old off of the toilet and into your engine.LOL" - Kevin Burks

That's gotta be hell on the pump, not to mention the noise! LOL
we just think it is something else knocking in the engine area
Remind me not to sit on a crapper with your engine out front. If I do I'll strap a 2 by 4 across my lap. TCSS
Well over here in upstate NY for the rare places we do have hydrants (mostly main street) in our district our hydrants have a tiny metal pole off the top to show where they are works pretty well then again we never really use them
Snow, what is that? Just kidding. We don't have that problem around here. I live in south Georgia and we don't see snow but on T.V.. Over the years I've seen snow stick one maybe twice that I can remember. There have been several times I have seen some flurries but nothing to accumalate. If it does it melts as soon as it hits the ground.
well here we only have 3 hydrants and we put a pole with reflective tape around it. damn im not craping in texas ever if theres truck hooked up near by
Where's the divining rod? That is a sure fire way to fins water.... lol

We have rebar with a metal flag welded together that go between the plug and the cap. When tightened with a hydrant wrench, they stay upright and clearly mark out our hydrant locations. (we also have a map of the hydrant system in every truck)
Nice! We do the same thing, but idiots still bury them with plowed snow!
Our hydrants stick up above the ground the pipe coming up out of the ground sticks up about a foot and a half and then the hydrant connects to it.

It is roughly 3' to 3 and a half foot from the ground to the steamer.
We have on most of our hydrants a plastic like tube.It marks them well enough to find but the also make great things for our local and college kids to bend them and break them off. No matter what you use to mark the hydrants if they are burried in a snow bank they are doing you no good. Ever since I was a child my father would have us boys keep the hydrents on our street cleaned out in the winter months. As a Fire Department member now I still keep the ones near my house cleaned out.Hay you never know when it might be your house, and that hydrant is burried in snow. It would be nice if you could get your village DPW to clean them when you get a heavy snow. Just two scoops with the bucket of a backhoe and you are done, a nice wide area to work in.

Don't know which is worst...winter or spring...
Hide and seek........look for the police crusier...LOL, here in New hampsire!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service