Brother and Sisters,

How many of you are allowed to wear shorts on duty?

What is your opinion of them?

Views: 155

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Im a volunteer, shorts are allowed so long as they aren't going to melt to you. For brush fire's it is highly frowned upon, and some have been sent home to get pants. I dont see any issue with shorts, especially jean or a heavy fiber non melting cloth.
We are allowed to wear shorts, providing that the temp. is at a certain point. Our department will sell them to any member who want's them. They are BDU short's and match the pants that we are issued. They can only be worn around the station. You leave the station for a call, (any type of call) you have to put on your bunker pants.
Same policy we have, when doing "duty crew" (truck checks) we are allowed to wear shorts. As long as we are wearing steel toe boots.... But once the tones go off then it's your bunker pants....
No shorts and we spend a good deal of our summer in 40+ weather (104F), sometimes up to as much as 48 and even once or twice 50 (ouch)... oh 50 would be 122F. We are to wear our poly/cotton blend pants and poly/cotton blend shirts, with tshirt underneath to soak up the sweat and for me a sports bra that holds more heat than the fire itself, as well as the shorts and of course underwear under the pants. Yup, you can believe I get hot, really, really hot and then I get really uncomfortable and then I go on and on about how hot I am... see where I'm going with this? haha

I think shorts are fine, but you should be ready to toss on your bunker pants for any call, medicals included. I believe that it would seem a unprofessional for us to show up to a call in shorts, but that's just my personal opinion. I've only seen bike cops and bike paramedics wearing shorts in our city.
I work for a paid dept. in Louisiana and just recently our new chief began letting us wear shorts. They are just a short version of our medic pants. I don't wear them but we have 3-4 guys who do. It's so hot and humid hear...so I can see the reason. We are not restricted to "station only"...we can wear them on calls too. The only calls we bunker out for are rescue/extrication calls or fire calls...not ambulance calls.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service