I'm still just getting started. Everyone I have met has been wonderful in sharing their knowledge and experiences with me. So I thought, if there was one thing you could pass on to the "new Kid" what would it be?

Views: 414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

not trying to be a butt or nothing but to be honest do what i did keep your mouth shut and pay attention thats was my problem at first but once i did start paying attention it worked out alot better. (of course the guys at my department will still say i talk to much lol) need any other advice holla at me good luck and stay safe out there.
Learn all you can. And never be afraid to ask questions. Also dont pretend to Know something when you dont.And never leave your partner inside.And practice practice practice.
Look kid...(that would be the first words said to you by your first captain or senior private in stlfd...so I kinda gotta keep up the custom) Seriously first piece of advice... participate passionately in all training...but while training or working a emergency scene (fire or otherwise) keep notes on what those with time on the job are doing, and saying...If you don't understand why ask...some of it will make sence as soon as you see it and some will not so ask if you don't know. Second...get to know your apparatus INTIMATELY, ask ask ask questions of those with time on until you know intimately each tool and its capabilities (even if some of the "tools" are your co-workers)(lol). Third ask your capt, and senior man/woman what you are expected to do and do it with out quibbling but a passion for the job. Yeah sometimes they will tell you to do something dumb that wont hurt anyone as a joke on the new kid but for the most part they will try to steer you in the right direction. Fourth...study STUDY STUDY...any dept. specific SOP's rules and regs...all your ff 1&2 books then get IFSTA fire ground and study it...then look up a old copy (cause they aint making any new editions that I know of ) of IFSTA ventilation. then look up "fire officer's hand book of tactics" by norman. then look up anything by tom Brennan, bobby Halton , or alan brunicini and read them. then suscribe to fire engineering magazine.
If you do the basics I spoke of in the top of the paragraph which is common sence. then know your dept sop's and rules and regs or standard way of doing things by heart, then break into the books I listed and make it through all of these...you'll have a damn good start and maybe by the end of it be ahead of some of your peers.
This is just my opinion...but it is what i say to my new guys on my fd.
ask questions and learn all you can try to be open to other peoples suggestions.. and never try to be a hero...people get hurt that way!! never be afraid to ask questions!!! and don't let anyone get to you because they will try believe me!!! good luck and stay safe watch your ass and your fellow firefighters ass!!! and have fun!!
I said this before but, the best thing you can do is take as much training as possible! Just remember no matter what you do sometimes you have to go back to the basics. I spend most of my time off in different web sites involving the firefighting industry, last week www.firefighterclosecalls.com had an article about a capt. and 2 others doing a primary search in a house. the chief said in an interview the capt. was injured when he fell into the indoor pool. My point is if they'd have taken a T.I.C. or if they were sounding the floor before each forward movement they would have seen the pool or known the floor ended. Stay safe!
Hello Breeanna-

Here's something I penned 5 years ago. I hope it provides a little insight. Best of luck to you in your endeavors.

To Whom It May Concern:

Now and always, we are either on the verge of greatness – or complete failure.

You will determine the outcome. The success of this fire company falls in your hands. But, this is not a burden – it’s an opportunity.

It is easier to give blame than it is to take responsibility. Therefore, before we can have good leaders, we must each learn to be good followers.

If ethics are violated and you don’t say anything, it’s your fault. If there’s stuff that’s broken and it doesn’t get fixed, it’s your fault. And this is not limited to physical items. Fix it – or alert someone who can.

Fortunately, each of us doesn’t have to do everything. Each of us only has to do something.

You as an individual, and all of us together as a team – have control of what goes on. We alone have the power to change the ways things are. No one is going to do it for us.

Don’t ever let anything or anyone – prevent you from being the member you want or need to be.

Be honest. Be proud. Be relentless.
Show respect. Show integrity. Show enthusiasm.
Smile. Have fun. Motivate yourself.
Take responsibility. Take ownership. Take control.
It starts now.

–Tiger Schmittendorf – November 23, 2002
The last thing I say to a new recruit class, is the training you just received. Is like getting your white belt in karate, you have the basics but don't go looking for a fight. It takes years to master, and if your cocky. You and others could get hurt or worst.

Mace
Below is the actual artical I mentioned: Keep in mind I'm not saying he deserved to get hurt, Just that it was avoidable!

FIREFIGHTER FALLS INTO POOL
Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Camden County (Georgia) Firefighter is recovering from injuries from a close call after falling into an indoor swimming pool Sunday while operating in a house fire....and this was the 2nd fire at that house.
Camden Fire-Rescue Capt. Travis Boyd was inside a smoke charged SFD when he fell into the pool filled with water. He was searching the house and smoke was from the floor to the ceiling and never saw the water....
Another firefighter at the scene pulled Boyd from the water. Captain Boyd was hospitalized at Shands Jacksonville (Fla), where he was treated for injuries to his back and a leg and is recovering from his injuries at home.
None of the residents were there when Firefighters arrived about 10:20 hours and the home has been unoccupied since Friday, when the electricity was turned off after the FD had to put out a minor fire in the dwelling. Faulty wiring in the home’s attic is thought to have started the first fire, however, Sunday’s fire is considered suspicious and is under investigation...
Well, I consider myself a Newbie too, and the most valuable piece of advice I have been given was to find a support system for my own self-preservation and use it. I joined the deparment the same month I moved to town, no family or friends nearby. I wasn't finished with EMT school yet when we got a pretty bad call...young kids, fast car, cold beers...you can figure out how it all turned out. If I hadn't been able to lean on my brothers and sisters, I wouldn't have finished school.
Keep your eyes open and your mouth shut!
I agree with most of the other posts here.But STAY AWAY FROM the in-house politics and Clicks.And RESPECT EVERYONE!They are all most 90% of the problem with Volunteer Departments keeping Active members around.I have seen it happen so many times.From the time i was an Explorer up to now.People quiting because they feel that very few or no-one respects or trusts them.
Wow, where to start on this one. I can remember an officer I had a long time ago. He told me right from the start, "DO NOT LISTEN TO THOSE WHO BRAG ABOUT WHAT THEY KNOW! LISTEN TO THOSE WHO SHOW YOU OVER TIME WHAT THEY KNOW!" This I have found to be one of the mose useful tools in my career, and I have done just that. The ones that think they are "GODS GIFT" to everything most likely will be the ones who get you hurt. The guys who brag about everything, have not seen much.
So my advice and you can take this as what you will is this. Learn all you can from everyone, listen to most of the old guys that are quiet and do not brag. Watch them and learn, they are the ones that will keep you from harm. Dont be a hot shot, most hot shots end up as dead heroes.
One last thing, do you know the difference between a fireman/person and a firefighter?
A firefighter is one that does the job for the job and loves it, a fireman/person is someone who seeks the glory from the job.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service