Just want to hear Opinions on forcing entry on roll down gates. More specifically, roll down gates with hockey puck style locks encased with steel.......

Views: 863

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's a pretty neat way for garage doors. I wonder if it would be applicable to the rolldown gates if this is the style the OP is referring to.

It is, and it works even more quickly if you use a diamond blade (not a composite or diamond carbid toothe blade). A lot of those are made from lightweight aluminum bars that are pretty easy to cut with a rotary saw.

There is less material to cut away on a grate than on a roll-down door, which helps speed up the cut. The trade-off is that there may be more vibration due to the less solid gate material.

It may take a few seconds more to cut the heavy gate bottom on this style, but that shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

You also have to consider the purpose for entering. If the purpose is to simply extinguish the fire, you might not have to cut this style at all, while the solid door type must be cut unless you're using a piercing nozzle in small space like a single mini-storage warehouse occupancy.

Then there's the terminology question - was he referring to roll-down "gates" or roll-down "grates"?
Page 138 has a good step-by-step for the Inverted L cut on slab-type doors.
joemac,

I think John's judgment is right up there. Would you prefer what color light.... discussions? Or games? or caption this? Or the most obnoxious of all, 'people don't seem to like me', 'did I do something wrong' and those other discussion where people waste bandwidth (and breath) whining about their life.
Apparently those of us who agree with him did.
I'll be honest in this picture, depending on the scenario I would just break a window, it's got to be cheaper to replace than the gate.
Joe, the concept was simple, isn't a discussion like this more pertinent than word games or lights, or helmet colors?

Given the discussions that have been taking place the last few months, weeks, and days, we started seeing more posts of members leaving because this site was veering away from what they found interesting or pertinent to the fire service. There were a few threads started about the content and even questioning the web chief about this and the stuff about games, etc.

To be honest, I agreed with many others about such things, but complaining is easy and sometimes bringing up new topics where there can be input and ideas and learn things, can be a challenge. So basically I just went to the end of the forums and worked backwards. I looked for threads that could be revived, stuff to learn from and different ideas. This is only a small portion of revived threads that there can be something learned from instead of just games. Not saying there can't be those other discussions now and then, but they did start to bury some more informative threads too.
Good video Ben,
I liked this concept as well and find it to be more efficient than the inverted "V". We don't have to cut overhead doors much and I'm looking forward to doing this cut.
Good link
Actually, depending upon the strength of the glass, you might not be able to break it - at least with hand tools - and it might be much more expensive to replace than a few aluminum rods in the roll-down grate.
A lot of stores in my area have this glass, including the interior Side A of mall occupancies.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service