i am currently going through the app process and was wondering if the tattoos on my hands will disqualify me.... I can wear long sleeves to cover up the others but the hands.....? someone please offer some insight...

Views: 1353

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Los Angeles City Fire Department now requires a swim test, not to see if the candidate can swim but to see if they have any visible tattoos. Before applying for a job, you need to read through their requirements to see if that specific department disallows candidates from being employed if they have tattoos. If you don't see anything written, make contact with the human resources section to ask the question over the phone. Anything else, like listening to the guys at the station cannot be trusted. You need to get the information from the horses mouth. I don't personally agree with this and think that it is discriminatory. I wish you the best of luck. ms
thank you ever so kindly, i know the stereotype that can be associated with this, and i just want my character and skills to outweigh this......i will gladly cover them even if it means gloves lol,.....every firefighter i have ever known has had a tattoo and yes i will admit that i do not regret them, for they are all tasteful and non offensive, if it hinders me as a career fireman applicant then i will hold somewhat of a regret.
to be honest, at some point in my life, I am going to get a tattoo of a woolly mammoth somewhere discreet but considering that I'm pretty sure I'm related to sasquatch or some other hairy thing, I thought that having a woolly would be kind of cool...
What Mike said.

My F.D. has a policy on visible tattoos. Basically, if it's offensive (which is pretty vague), then you can't be hired. I wish you the best of luck, Brother, stay safe!

Just out of curiousity, what are they?
I know both career and volunteer fire fighters who have tattoos. I'm not sure if there is an exact regulation in regards to tattoos but if there is, then a wide majority of us would not be in the fire service.

I would recommend that you check with the department you're applying with to see if there is a regulation or not. Best of luck to you.
thanks brother stay safe as well, i guess offensive is subjective, my hand tattoos consist of flowers with banners in them statin hope and love, shouldnt be offensive,...however i am sure i will not be getting any bonus points for them in the oral exam. I just want a shot to do what i know what i can do...........thanks again
these are my hands,......
Attachments:
Different dept. will be different. The PD here, civil service, says ALL tattoos must be covered by the uniform. This is only for new hires though. If the dept you are applying for has no policy, then IMHO you are still going to have to be better than the next guy.
thank you everyone for your honesty and support,.....i will do all i can to pursue this calling and will keep everyone posted, thaks again brothers stay safe...

d
I have to be honest is the society that we are in now. I think if people have figured out that good people have tattoos,not all bad people have them... During your interview if it comes up be perpared to do what ever they want if this a problem.Wear gloves what ever.. I don't believe it will be one.. My son has them the only thing I tell him to keep the up high... I have three and I am a nurse.. Good luck.. Let us know.
Hey man, I'm not real sure if they will or not. Prolly not at my dept. but then again, I serve on one of the coolest firehouses in the world. lol. Ive got a few tats myself but there all on my chest and easily covered. I wouldnt worry about it
I have to keep mine under a t-shirt or "above the elbow" as it's written. or pre-hire tattoo- under a long sleeve shirt

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service