Hola,
Just wanted to get some honest feed back about how men feel about having women serve as FF. Please be very honest! The reason for this is:
1. I have witnessed society feels women can't do this job- we are to fragile , etc.
2. People think women that work around a bunch of men must be easy or having relations with at least one of the them
3. Sexual harrassment issues arise more often
4. Some men have trouble taking orders from a woman (or vice versa)
These are just a few of the things I have seen or heard about.. Please share y you feel this way

Views: 2214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lets face it, EVERYONE has to prove their worth as a firefighter, no one is different no matter what sex they are. Some got what it takes and some dont. I work with plenty of female firefighters and they do the job the same as i do. People jus need to step back from the old ways of traditions and look at today. Hey at the end of the day We are ALL Firefighters!
I don't have any problem with women as firefighters. We have two of them in our department and I would rather have them back me up on a line and go interior then some of our male firefighters
I know I responded to this earlier, but I'm going to take another crack at it!! lol No, all women do not belong in the fire service, no all men do not belong in the fire service. After fighting a particularly tough and stubborn fire the other day for hours (and hours), cutting holes in the roof, the siding, hammering through brick with a sledge, pulling ceilings, throwing ladders, operating handlines off of those ladders, and running for tools and equipment, repeatedly, all I have to say is, if you do not keep in shape or don't wish to keep in shape, don't bother being a firefighter. I took a month off from the gym to recooperate my overtrained body and that one fire sent me right back to the gym guns a blazin'! I worked my ass off, had no trouble doing it, but some of the tasks were not easy.

I know plenty of fantastic, fit and strong ladies in the fire service and I have met some that I would sooner use as the ram to open the damn door. Don't fool yourselves, stay strong or get packin'.
Ive rode for 25 years now and have rode with female firefighters
some can and do a great job and some I think just like the "ego" of it
If a female can handle it then by all means do it
I have given my honest view of this issue before! First if a women can pass the same test as any man and do the job then she deserves the same respect and should be free of any BS as any man.

The other issues you raise I have to say that some women are your biggest battle, some give all a harder time and is your biggest problem.
And this is a female's point of view.... I believe if you can do the job, then ok but if you can't find something else to do. I am currently the only female on my dept. I have been a firefighter for 4yrs and seen a few females on the dept. I can't stand the ones who think they are there to just look pretty. They are the ones who give the rest of us a bad name!
As for the sexual harassment part, deal with it and get over it.
How about we take gender and race out of it.
Let's start a thread titled PEOPLE Who Don't Belong In The Fire Service!
On the one hand, you have a few females that see no problems, can do the job and do it without fanfare. On the other hand, you have many females that feel that their presence in the fire service is tantamount to getting the right to vote. IT'S NO BIG DEAL, unless you LET it be. Male, female, black, chicano, white, fat, thin, smart, stupid; if you can do the job, congratulations. If you can't, go work the burger joint.
Why does anyone need affirmation so much?
And ladies; if you don't want to be looked at differently, then post APPROPRIATE photos. Too many Tah-Tahs are showing up on this website. Go and ahead and say it. "If you don't like it; don't look".
I would, but they are EVERYWHERE.
Dave; please install a boob filter.
Art
Holy smokes Ed - just about had Pepsi come out my nose! I love it!

I'll weigh in with my very honest opinion: it just does not matter who or what you are, as long as you get your share of the job done.
Seems to be the recurring theme here, Joe.
But I'll bet you a dollar to a donut, someone will start another thread on this very same subject within the next two days.
Doesn't anyone use a "search" anymore?
Art
How do I type a sound that is equivelant to me bowing... "we're not worthy"! lol... great post!!! I've been hearing lately that we are to pioneer and recruit more women... pioneer?? How about I just do a good job and be proud of myself at the end of the day and help those who ask for it and deserve it?? "It won't be easy ladies, but you will be trail blazers!" Ummmm, about two decades too late in the fire service. We aren't trail blazers anymore, we're firefighters. Why do some people need to make it more than it is? (As you have said).

lol.... I've always loved the "if you don't like it, don't look" line... heck, I'm a woman too and I have to admit, if they're flaunted in your face, you have no choice but to look!!
lol... that was awesome! And let me add, "Men wear the suits, but the women wear the boots!!" ;)

disclaimer - the winkie denotes sarcasm... sort of
Art, I think another "paid vs. vollie" thread will start up first.

Maybe there should be a pop-up that appears when one clicks "Start a New Discussion". It might read "Whoa partner, did you check for an existing discussion on the same topic?"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service