My F.D. had it's Centennial back in 1997. Since then I've been to several Centennial celebrations for surrounding F.D's. I was surprised to find out that some area F.D's are only 50 years old or so, some are even younger! Just curious how old everyone else's F.D's are. I'm sure there's some Departments on the east coast that are getting close to their Bi-centennial.

Views: 1420

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Dale, I'll check that out.
Hutsonville Township Fire Department ... Hutsonville, Illinois founded in January of 1939.
my dept will be getting ready to turn 208 yrs next year. It was started in 1803, DeSoto is a railroad town, we have had several railroads in our town, all have used it to build rail cars or repair them. My dept has had to use old hand drawn carts for over 100 years, our first motorised truck was a 27'ford, wich still exists and runs well.
ours was created in the mid 30's . not sure of all the history, however the 1954 ford pumper is still in the community. still look and runs great too
In July 10. 1878. was founded professional (payed) fire departement in city of Pula (now in Croatia). By the order of city council, 48 firefighter and commander were employed. Two troops of 24 men each, devided in firemen and climbers, working in 3 shifts of 8 men each troop. First rolebook of fire service was 4 months later. City council founded 4 member fire committee with 3 member and fire inspector.
Why professional fire department, and not volonteers ? The reason is in a fire in year 1878 that erupted suddenly, and the city was unprepared for this. The fire was quickly extinct by professional industrial firefighters of nearby shipyard. The mayor and city council decided to prevent danger events in future.

This is a raw translation of parts of history of the fire brigade Pula (JVP Pula). The whole article is in croatian on www.jvp-pula.hr.
Update our department was established in 1886. The city of Eureka was established in 1892.
Village of Eastlake Fire Department founded in 1881 (Michigan) 130 years

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service