Have you noticed that some discussion threads just vaporize?
Here today; gone today?
My opinion is this:
A thread should NEVER be deleted by a moderator or the thread starter.
If conduct is the issue, then delete the post AND the poster. Many of us conduct ourselves with a certain sense of responsibility and can convey our opinions without throwing out personal attacks or by using obscene or offensive language. Good discussion and information is lost when an entire thread is deleted and I can't speak for you, but I come here to learn about others, their fire departments and their tactics.
I have spoken to WebChief about this and he knows my opinion. I want to know your's.
Did you know that you, as the thread's starter, can delete the entire thread, if you don't like what's being said? That's just ridiculous. I mean; the first opposing opinion that is stated and POOF! Thread starter doesn't like it; therefore, the thread is gone.
So, what do you think? Should discussion threads be deleted or should inappropriate conduct be dealt with instead?
It starts now.
Art

Views: 194

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

WC may need to enlist the services of more moderators.
Some of us do it for other websites.
Unless we want to see this website denigrate to the level of some of the others, something needs to be done now.
I came here to get away from alot of that.
5500 plus posts at Firehouse.com and I have the scars to prove it!
Where I come from, it's called "respectful debate". You don't have to agree, but agree to be respectful.
Art
Well, since you are all being so polite and well spoken about this, I am going to say this... It freaken sucks... to those who do it... STOP IT! If you want to hear from people who are only going to agree with you, then write on those people's boards and don't waste everyone's time. Why start something if you don't want replies. There is nothing wrong with debate, we will never all agree on topics, but that does not mean that we can't respect each other and have conversations without swearing a name calling.

Sigh... we could always just start a new thread about the same topic, I suppose! lol
And where IS West Philly?
Is there a Northwest Philly?
Southwest, perhaps?
Do I need Mapquest to find it?
You know; I'm one of those types that get lost at the Mall.
Art
It's probably just as well that that thread disappeared. I was getting kind of tired of it, and several times started to reply but somehow could not take the sting out of the words I wrote. As discussions go it started out badly with some inflammatory language and went downhill from there. Perhaps the original poster finally saw the light and "pulled the plug".

But Art I agree: No one should be able to delete any of the threads. If one wants to start a new discussion, he or she should put some thought into what they want to say and discuss, and not just click a link and start ranting.

And there should be moderators to keep some law and order to the discussions. I'm a member of some other discussion boards where conduct like was seen on the now-deleted discussion would have resulted in a lockdown way before today. And locked threads still would have the posts by those trying to contribute meaningful information as well as the less appropriate replies that caused the lockdown.
I agree, the threads should NOT be deleted. I agree with what is said about this topic. We should keep our posting polite and civil. Agree to disagree. Topics are posted for discussions. We are to be professionals. We don't need the name calling and all the other B.S. If so go to the Watchdesk. I'm here to chat with and learn from everyone from the United States and around the world. I enjoy the photos of the different apparatus. We need to instill pride back in our home companies and ourselves. I stopped at South Ward Fire Company of Tamaqua on Sunday to photograph their Mack engine. The man that pulled the engine out for us was proud that we wanted to photograph his company's engine. We need more pride in our companies and ourselves. We don't need my truck is bigger than your truck BS. To everyone reading this, if you would like to chat sometime, drop me an email. Tell me about your fire or EMS company. I enjoy seeing what other companies operate in equipment. Also I challenge EVERYONE, lets see photos of your stations and apparatus.
I think there should be a minimum education level expected while making a post as well. Continuing thoughts with no punctuation, capitolization, or even a coherant thought process are not only difficult to read, but increase the frustration level for all onvolved when you decode it "the wrong way." I am not going to call anyone out. The poster knows who she is, and we all know who we are that responded. Plain and simple language could be used to say there was no thought process. Again, I think there was a small alarm that blinked in this individuals brain that said this isn't going half as good as I thought. (compared to the other 1.2 billion women in the fire service postings web wide) In order to make this short and sweet, I agree with you all here. Once a post is on, it should be there for good. I think any and all posts should be monitered by either Web Chief, or anyone whom he see's fit to be one of his moderators. Perhaps what we should do is make an approval process for any post before it is allowed to see the light of this website. It is sad because being here from the beginning (somewhere around 400 I think) I have seen this website grow and develope. it shouldn't take any of the measures I have discussed here. We are all "mature" and "educated" people, lets all start to act our age and remember we all do the same job. If you can't take the heat, leave the kitchen, this isn't the place for whining, or bragging. It is a site thats meant for mutual developement of the brotherhood/sisterhood. this can be done by video's, pictures, posts, or just a friendly chat in the Meebo room dedicated to FFN.
I enjoy my time on here (as evidence by my forum contributions) and I spend a lot of time on the site. I have made friendships that I never would have been able to have had if this site hadn't been made available through the hard work of Chief, and all the members posting their various materials. If you are looking for a bunch of nodding heads, or a method of meeting firefighter for a personal gain, I suggest myspace. Lets keep this site clean, and use it for what its intention is, and not to deface anyone, or make rant postings. With that I will close with Be Safe out there.
You are wrong, Rook.
Her's is the most recent one to be deleted, but has not been the only one. I have been here a short time and no less than THREE have disappeared.
A poster should have the option of deleting a POST; NOT an entire thread.
And I am told that soon, deleting an entire thread will not be an option for the poster.
If people don't want to be "slayed from all corners", then they should choose their words carefully and refrain from posting comments when they are emotionally troubled by some of the responses.
AND don't come here asking for advice if the advice is going to make you pissy.
I am speaking rhetorically; I'm am not saying "you" as in you.
I have seen way too much "Dear Abby" crap.
What's wrong with talking about real fire stuff?
Art
I disagree with you again. I believe you are referring to a thread that was deleted last week and not the one that was deleted two days ago. Last week's thread had some very thoughtful and well written advice and remarks in it. It turned ugly when someone who did not start the thread suggested that standards be different between the genders. I read that entire thread and the bs was not directed to the original poster, she got honest advice from fellow firefighters (and a third male poster decided to get his back up and turn it into a name calling opportunity), unfortunately it was not what she was ready to hear. She appears to be a thoughtful and well meaning individual with an intense passion for this career, but unfortunately appeared (according to the information she gave us) was not reay to be back on the floor yet (or responding).

The thread that was deleted two days ago started with women not being accepted and again the poster was given advice on how to work her way in and not be so defensive, etc, etc. Again another male poster came in with the swearing and name calling which completely turned the tone of the thread. The original poster was also "getting pissy" because she was told there were ways to be accepted and unfortunately it would not be easy an fighting was not the way to do it, etc... again, didn't like it and would rather be stroked as most people looking for advice would like.

Basically, the biggest problem, and not with this forum, but in general.... when someone asks for advice, they very rarely want the advice, they want to be validated. They want someone to agree with them and tell them they are right to feel the way they do. In most cases we are validated in our feelings only because of the way we react to the situation and not always because of the situation itself. If we had to explain it in full detail this way and get into actions vs reactions we would be here all day with one response (like I am right now). Instead we give our opinions and what we would expect to see or expect to do and hope that the person can work it into their situation, process and decide whether or not it will help them at this present time. Unfortunately, it has appeared that most times the person seeking advice throws out what they don't like (and sometimes rather emphatically and rudely) and accepts what makes the ego feel better. Common human nature...except for the rudeness and name calling.

So, there you have it... a brief synopsis of the last two threads that I am aware of being deleted. Both either started or ended with gender discussions and nothing to do with technical firefighting, operations or fire news. What else is new?
oh, I didn't mean that I am disagreeing with you again, I was just making a funny reference to you being wrong earlier in this thread (which you joked about... okay, so I'm not very funny... lol)! I think I generally agree with your posts.

As for her being put down or called out. No, I didn't see this. I did see people calling out the second poster in there who thought standards should be different for males and females, and simply because that notion is not healthy for the fire service.
What I did see was one poster in particular being vulgar and nasty to those who were suggesting that the original poster find herself something else to do within the fire service. I was one who suggested she look into something other than working on the fire ground until she was completely ready because the rate of re-injury is very high if you go back before your body is ready. I was then called a lameass for suggesting she be careful and take care of herself. Maybe I didn't see all the posts to her, but I was sure I did. And no, I did not feel anyone spoke inappropriately to her. I know I would have spoken with her the way I typed to her because I feel very strongly about firefighters being safe and healthy.

Now... as for the second poster in that thread with the gender issues, yes, she was called out and maybe not received so well. Again, emotions run high when people make blanket statements of come out with ideas that could endanger the future of the fire service in general (relations between the individuals in the service, which would then bring down morale, etc, etc).

The last thread... yes, she was called out, after the personal attacks, that were started by her and her "buddy". They used names like lameass, rudeass, jerkwald (which I still don't know what that is) and said the posters knew nothing, had no life and should not be in the fire service because they lacked brotherhoodness (okay, I made that word up).

So... yes, there was everything you said, but I don't think it was in the order or in the direction you are stating. Personal attacks did occur, I know because I was told to fuck myself lameass. I make a point of not attacking personally and try to stay on topic. I did say that if I was a lameass I might question facial hair and good seals... lol... but that's about it.

Of course I agree with that statement... but it goes both ways. If I comment on your question carefully, word it well and put thought into it and you call me names or tell me to fuck off simply because you don't agree with me, I might have something to say about that... so check where it starts.

Personally, I could care less. There are all kinds on here, it's a public forum, when you post you can get any number of responses and any number of education or experience level in your responses. I rarely feel offended as much as I feel sorry for the poster who has to resort to name calling or foul mouthed responses simply because they cannot formulate a proper response. I don't know how else to explain it... you know you are going to get responses you don't agree with, so why be nasty... that breeds emotional responses.

The only person I feel badly for in all of these deletions, etc is the original poster last week because she is genuinely in a tough position. I have a friend who is in the same position and it's very tough on her. Knowing that she cannot go back to the floor yet is very hard on her, but she's doing the right thing by waiting. no reason to complete kill your career in order to get back early.

once again, I've babbled on. In Short, yes, there were some out of line posts... did it start with responses or replies to those responses... well, if you didn't read it all because it was deleted, you will never know. I know what was directed to me and I know how I responded, that's what matters the most to me. I am no one's keeper.
Yup, sort of... I can't say I'm sick of it. I would have to care about it to be sick of it... hahaha. I could care less if someone has to stoop to a new low to feel better about what is being said. It says more about them than it does about me, right? I know when I speak the words to people as opposed to typing them, I am never called names or told to fuck off... lol... well, not yet anyway... I am embarking on some interesting new ventures up here... haha! My time may come! :)

Don't sweat it. We're all grown ups here. People can take care of themselves, but they also must realize that they are responsible for their words that they put out there. I have seen people get into a lot of trouble with their departments in the past for words they have said (some have been asked to leave.... yikes). I have even been questioned in the past just because I posted on one (not reprimanded because I simply stated that I love my department... lol).

So, as adults we either have to be careful of what we say, or ready to be responsible for it.

Take care of you!! :)
Guys

This is great discussion but just keep in mind this is on the Ning platform. Until they change their methodology and allow me to control whether or not users can delete threads, there isn't much anyone can do about it. Its very few of the threads it has happened to. I agree users should not be able to delete

Thanks
Dave
Which is why if Ning doesn't understand the issue, then maybe you should look at a different software company to power your website?
Come on, Dave, you wrote the book on firefighter websites.
Persuade them!
Art

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service