Hey everyone. I just wanted to get a few opinions on this topic. As a firefighter with my local department, I have an issue with what our department is not going to do. Our department was awarded a FEMA SAFER grant to hire 12 new firefighters bakc in early July of this year. I was one of those 12 firefighters that were hired. After we were hired, we all recieved our uniforms and gear, but our department did not issue every new firefighter a portable radio. After many of our firefighters had an issue with not recieving radios, we went to the chief to discuss the issue. After discussing the issue with our Chief, he advised us that every firefighter does not need a radio. According to him, only our company officer and pump operaters need radios because they are in charge of our crews and our chief wants to put emphasis on crew integrity. Now, almost all of the firefighters in the department have an issue with this because it is a major safety issue that all of our firefighters don't have radios. Grant it, crew integrity is very important, but what if something went wrong? What if any one of us were seperated from the rest of our crew, or our company officer was to go down, then how would anyone call a mayday? If I could get some input on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Views: 492

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My radio is one of the cheaper moto radios that has the plug-in mic and I have never had a problem with not to say I wont but it does take some force to remove the mic. And that is a good point about the explosive atmosphere again mine is and most of the better brand radios should be.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service