Being the only female firefighter can be tough at times here. Especially when a majority of the company remembers me when i was practically in diapers. My only fear is being the odd person out because im a Woman. But I've been treated fairly. Which is nice. Because since my dad joined back in the day and had been bringing me to the Fire hall, its all i ever wanted to do. Being with these guys makes me feel at home. They're like a second family to me. Honestly I feel more....I dont know....at peace knowing that i have a group of guys who are willing to help me if i need it.

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Teresa, I know exactly what you're sayin. I grew up in a police family, but emergency services all the same. I am now in my 30's and only when I was hired by the fire department did I finally feel like I wa where I belong. There's something about being able to completely be yourself with no worries of someone looking at you funny because of what you're wearing, or some other silly trivial concern (I came from a hen party office... lol).

Being the only woman will likely not be a problem for you, because you grew up around men. I have always been more comfortable around guys. I like to do my hair and make up and when I go out I wear stilhettos... there's nothing wrong with being a girl, but throwing on the bunkers a getting dirty is waaaay more fun!!!hahahahaha!!

Enjoy and have a great time. Don't let it be a fear, just do your work and love it!! :)
Teresa:
I grew up in a house with SEVEN sisters. I was the only boy. Somehow, I feel as though I can relate to what you are saying. Half the time, I didn't understand what they were talking about and the other half I tried to ignore. They had these funny little "rituals". They were moody. They were secretive; always whispering or stopping the conversation when I would show up. They would gang up on me, tease me and boss me around, since I was the youngest. Whoa; I'm having an epiphany. That almost sounds like a fire department, doesn't it?
The point that I actually wanted to make before the voice in my head took over is this:
Don't expect any MORE because of your gender and certainly, don't take any LESS for the same reason. You, like the rest of them, deserve your fair share of everything! Keep in mind that includes the work and the rewards.
Good luck to you and just so you know, I wish that to everyone.
Art

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service