How does everyone feel about fire prevention? How often do you do fire prevention thru out the year? what do you do for fire prevention? Just trying to get ideas.

Views: 136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fire prevention....

My FD has a school fire safety progra in grades K through 3, and we conduct quarterly inspections of places of assembly, restaurants and clubs that have liquor licenses, and we are begiining an inspection program for apartment and condominium complexes.

We also conduct plans review for all new construction for fire alarm and sprinkler systems.
That is cool what do you do with the kids for fire prevention and do you just go one time a year. I have started going three times a year to the schools I go in october forf ire prevention week and then go back in decemaber but we take santa and teach winter safety and then we go back in may and teach summer safety.
The Student Awareness of Fire Education is funded by a grant from the State. I used to be the coordinator and an instructor, but since the promotion to Deputy Chief, the program can't afford me anymore. My fellow fire instructor now runs the program. The funding allows us to vist each classroom in the schools 3 times as well as the usual FPW visitiations.

We use the NFPAs Learn Not to Burn program, Risk Watch and in house developed programs.

We also make extensive use of our local cable access channels, taping PSA's. We did have a show called "the Fire Show" 2 years ago. We taped segments once a month on various fire safety topics. They have been "recycled" into a new program called "Marlborough Today".
Janvier usually goes over to the k-2 grade school and we show off our trucks, give the kids plastic helmets and talk to them about fire and the importance of fire drills. I still remember them good old days when i was that little. Back in the day at Station 4 in Vineland they had an in house with a fake burn building i remember goin to, and they let the kids use a 2 1/2" line and knock down the blocks on the shed... fun stuff for 6 year olds and i still love doing it lol.
While I was a PCF we had a very strong Prevention program and i know they still conduct a very strong program. They go to schools do the demonstrations, videos, all the hand outs. Then couple weeks later do a check in and see how they are doing and if they did handouts. They don't just do this once a month, they do this through out the year. Very fun and eventful stuff.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service