No Description

Views: 140

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

According to Philly Fire News, http://www.pafirenews.net/messageboard/index.php?topic=880.0, they were elevating the snorkel boom to allow 2 costumed mascots to enter the bucket.

No injuries,thank goodness.
Somewhere I've got some videos of these sort of incidents- they're scary to watch and hear- the noise is incredible as the arcs travel down the trucks and all the bangs and explosions, etc.

If I can find them on my archives of CD's/DVD's, I'll upload them....
Boy, what a timely discussion. I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere on FFN this past week, but here's a news story from last weekend. From the Watertown (NY) Daily Times:

LIVE WIRE KILLS 2 MEN
TRUCK LADDER HITS LINE: Trooper, Canadian were fixing flat near Ogdensburg international bridge
By LORI SHULL & DAVID WINTERS
TIMES STAFF WRITERS
MONDAY, AUGUST 4, 2008
OGDENSBURG — A veteran state police trooper and a Canadian man were electrocuted Sunday in a freak accident while fixing a flat tire on an antique firetruck near the Ogdensburg-Prescott International Bridge.

Trooper Shawn W. Snow, 47, and an unidentified 51-year-old man were apparently killed instantly when the firetruck's ladder touched a live electrical wire, carrying a current through the truck, state police said. The international bridge was closed, with traffic diverted to the Thousand Islands and Seaway bridges.

"This type of accident is somewhat incomprehensible," Maj. Richard C. Smith Jr., commander of state police Troop B in Ray Brook, said at the Ogdensburg barracks. "It is a terrible day."

Trooper Snow was a 19-year veteran of the force and was assigned to the commercial vehicle enforcement unit. He was responsible for inspecting trucks that crossed the Ogdensburg-Prescott International Bridge or were traveling area roadways.

The Ogdensburg Police Department responded to a call at 4:45 p.m. with the city Fire Department for a report of a firetruck on fire with people underneath it near the bridge. Police said a firetruck heading to Canada was towing another antique firetruck when it had a flat tire on the road approaching the bridge. Trooper Snow volunteered to help replace the flat tire.

The trooper was under the truck at the time, fixing the tire. The truck's boom was extended to redistribute the weight from the flat right rear tire. When the truck was lowered, the boom hit a live wire, killing both men instantly, police said.

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20080804/NEWS05/70000724...

The unidentified man turned out to be a well-known, well-respected member of the Canadian fire service.

This is one of the videos I was talking about- I found it on Youtube (Is there nothing that can't be found on that website??!!)
"Clear Overhead" should follow an actual look up. Our state fire academy pounds the saying to the point that some officers and training evaluators assume that the ladder crew has actually looked up before they make the rote statement. That's not always the case. When I teach or am in charge at the scene, I'm a lot more concerned that the truck crew actually evaluated the overhead prior to raising the ladder than if they parrot the catch phrase.
You're right Lutan, Youtube has anything you'd ever want to see! I'll have to find the video of the Firefighter descending a ground ladder that was raised under a power line and his back comes in contact with the line! Nasty stuff.

I strongly encourage everyone to take an extra second and look up even if the "clear overhead" signal has been given. Stay safe!

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" -Benjamin Franklin
bump, this is always a number one thing in the fire business and is sometimes over looked a lot:)
we dont have ladder trucks or arials
There is an easier way to whack a mascot. If it was the 76ers mascot I can understand why you would want to. Seriously, it a shame to destroy a snorkel because of an oversight. A good reminder to all aerial apparatus operators.
Regardless of whether you have a ladder truck or not, it happens just as easy with a roof/extension ladder.

When I teach a ladders class, I stress to verbally check for for overhead obstructions, wires, etc. 12 different times during the classroom portion. I will none the less "kill" over half of the class during skills because they don't say it. If you are in the habit of saying it, you will do it. "Clear Overhead"
get'em you oldman.............................haha, but thats why I bumped this one:)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service