Hi there, I have just joined this site. I am a fire fighter in New Zealand and I am very interested in fire prevention for kids. I would like to know how other fire department go about teaching fire safety to kids and migrants.

Thanks
Craig

Views: 59

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We at our station have a small private school in our area. So every October we have them come down and show them a program that we have used several times. We first introduce ourselves and tell what we do around the station. Then we take them around the trucks and let them see what they are all about. When they get done asking questions about the trucks then we take them in and let them watch a movie about fire. While they are in there one of us gets into full ppe and scba and go in to the class room where they are. This gives some of them quite a fright, but it gives them a good look at what we look like in a fire. This makes them not so scared of us in a terrible event. This whole time they are asking questions about this and that as well as us asking them questions. This gives them a good idea about what not to do and what to do in an emergency. We ask them about meeting spots and what to do in an emergency. And to our amazement most of them have a good answer for us.
we dont have alot of migrants around here however, kids ...we do have...lol
we usually make a yearly trip to the school and explain some do's and dont's about fires and fire safety. We recently "revamped" a Sparky the fire dog ( costume ) and im hoping to take it with us this year.I think it will really get some interest moving. I hope anyway.
It would be helpful to not only tell them how to prevent a fire, but how to put it out safely and correctly in case of an emergency.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service