Hi all the fighters here, I'm still new to fire-fighting so wanna ask you guys some questions regarding to best pipeline to be used (might be old topic, and sorry if it was):

With same amount of water, pressure, nozzle and etc.

Which kind of hose would you choose? 2 inch or 2 and half?

Which one is more water saving during lacking of water sources?

Views: 194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the job...... Hose dia depends on incident/involvement. Simple rule big fire big water (2 1/2"). Interior attack should only be done with 1 3/4". If you are applying 250gpm via 2 1/2" you will have a heck of a time advancing it (especially interiorly). But great hose for exterior/defensive application. Don't get me wrong 2 1/2" can be used inside, but better have lots of manpower for advancement. You mentioned "pipeline" if you mean nozzle selection, that is a whole differant discussion, if so let us know, we all like to give our imput.....Hope it helps a bit..... again welcome to the brotherhood.
Topper
My department is (apparently) an anomaly. We use 2" as our attack line, with a breakaway nozzle. It is not unmanagable and can be easily used with 2-3 people. the 2 1/2" is used for commercial. Our supply lines are 5", 3" for our stingers. My point...2" works fine as an initial attack line. Its what we use. Better or worse than 1 3/4? Dunno, I've only ever used 2" as an attack line, our 1 3/4" is our trash line...dumpster fires, car fires, etc.
wow.... Thanks guys... really learn lot here.. Great place... Actually I'm just a voluntary junior but would like to learn more.. we seldom get into the internal of burning building except the guys from government dept want we to or someone is inside it, so basically we just spraying the building from outside, more on control the fire from spread out. U guys can check out the video i shared here. It's not my team, but we use to work like that here and mostly the serious fires are involved wooden shop houses (like in the vid). Due to dry weather here, the fire cross very quickly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvDelMRG0Vs). And another problem we facing here is the water source issue. Fault hydrants is the main issue. So we have to save water as much as possible before support teams are arrived.
I'll grant you there was probably not a lot left to save of that house, although it looked like there were bits that were not burning (the back and the basement). That said, you can't be serious that the attack didn't put the fire out. An 1 1/2" (the voice-over says they are using 1 1/2") will put out a lot of fire if used correctly. In a fire that's already vented, if you can hit the stuff that's burning you'd be amazed.
Jack,

By no means is your dept an anomaly, many depts use 2 ½ " for interior attack, (mine included for commercial or defensive residential). It has its pluses and minuses just like 1 ¾”. The best plan is to use what works for your dept. We have learned that due to limited manpower a 2 ½” does not tend to be manageable on initial attack of a residential “bread and butter” (room and contents) fire. Thanks for the reply and keep up the great work.
EGH-FTM-KTF-DTRT

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service