From the early beginnings of our department in 1904, there had to be a way to alert our members of a fire call. This large iron rim from a steam locomotive wheel was the way an alarm was sounded. This rim was located high on a hill about 1/8 mile north of our present firehouse. When a fire call was received, someone with a large steel sledge hammer would climb the hill and sound the alarm. There were different codes sounded which would signify the location in town where the fire was.
Add a Comment