Here;s a variation of a car versus pole that I found tonight on Rescue Diva Stephi's page http://www.firefighternation.com/photo/photo/show?id=889755%3APhoto...

Interesting extrication- what would you do if there was a front seat person trapped?

Views: 400

Replies to This Discussion

Ben, I was more interested in where/how you were going to hook your high directional for lowering.Since we only have one set of struts,it's them or another method for the triangulation.Lower window with a flatbed easy meat but if you opt to use a side door for anything(access or other) you'll probably need some more stuff.
If the pole is intact, you can use it for the high directional. Either a rope or webbing friction wrap would work. If you have an aerial ladder, you an use the tip if you are trained to rig it. (My department is, and our extrication unit is a 100-ft. tillered aerial.)

If the vehicle is stabilized in a bombproof manner, you can use a solid part of the car. Two ways to do this - either rig from a solid suspension member and run the anchor over the uppermost part of the car (padded, of course) or anchor the the pole and use the padded uppermost car part as a direction change.
Our primary is a Rescue Engine.In about three weeks the Platform will be here and it has several spots to rig from.This is still an interesting job on a couple of fronts:Rescue and recovery. If you're using a MA system,you'd need a fairly short anchor point if you were using the vehicle.Good brain teaser in any event.
You can rig the anchor for the MA system as high up the pole as you can reach with a ladder. The haul rope can go almost anywhere as long as the pole is intact. You can place a change-of-direction pully near the bottom of the pole and haul in any direction where you have a safe place to put the haul team.
To be the devil's advocate, what's the integrity of the pole and the installation?

I've seen many a pole severely damaged or unstable due to the impact- would you want to set up any redirect or MA system of it?
Assessing pole integrity is part of the size-up for this wreck, regardless of the planned extrication method.

If the pole is damaged, it's usually easy to see it, because the interior of the pole is usually a lighter color due to the creosote coating not soaking all the way to the core.

I've seen poles in this situation in any state from completely intact to sheared off parallel with the ground to anything in between. If the pole is iffy, don't use it as part of the rescue. If it's solid, it's a viable option.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service