i am a firefighter in dublin ireland and i'm tring to get information on patient extraction techniques on road accidents involving modified japanese cars i would be greatful if anyone has any information

Views: 263

Replies to This Discussion

WHat do you mean by modified Japanese cars? Are you talking hybrids or something else?
i mean japanese cars fitted with nitrous oxide ,roll cages,non standard seats etc.
Now I get it- such as those in the movie, "The Fast and The Furious".

In reply to that, no other than to be smart about metal movement and extrication direction. ie: you're not going to be able to cut through rollbars, etc so we need to adapt our extraction techniques around the available space.

This freely available manual may offer some guidance on that http://www.emergencytechnologies.com.au/vet.htm (I was a contributing author)
Ironically the KED was invented for the purpose of removing a driver from a race car. It was designed to attach to the cable on a wrecker, after being put on the driver, and lifted through a hole made in the roof between the roll cage members. But then Ferno Washington bought the patents and removed the bullring attachment. There is a school taught at the Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte, NC. It is very good for race car extrication. They taught us to how to cut roll cages. You might look into this program for your info. It is very good, but it has been several years since I went to it and techniques may have changed.
Like any other extrication situation, the most important things are to a) stabilize the car to avoid unwanted movement, b) protect the patient from extrication activities with both hard and soft shielding and c) NEVER cut blindly.

You should always visualize the area you're cutting into to make sure that you don't cut through, say, a nitrous oxide line.

Roll cages are generally easy to cut - they're mostly just steel pipe.
A good recip saw with a 14 TPI metal-cutting blade goes right through most of them.
Plan the roll cage cuts to maximize the opening while leaving structural support for the rest of the car, especially if the car is badly damaged in the crash.

If the driver has a racing-style, multi-point seat harness, generally the release at the harness collection point will operate after a crash. Just reach in and release it. It may take a minute to figure it out if you're not used to it. If the harness quick-release is jammed, and ARFF-style seat belt cutter will go right through most harness straps.

Here are a couple of examples of these tools:
http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_5949_benchmade_8_...
http://www.extremaratioknivesdivision.eu/inglese/military/tf_rescue...
http://www.gomed-tech.com/catalog/rescue-hook-ert-1.htm

Good luck and stay safe.
Race style vehicle extrication is a very simple process. Typically in a standard simple roll cage that would be placed in one of the "fast and furious" style cars will have between four and six cut points, consisting of tubular steel. A simple hydraulic tool will cut a race specific roll cage without hesitation. Be mindful however, while the vehicle does have a roll cage, at the same time, it is still a street car. The same extrication techniques must be used, ie; scene safety, patient status, vehicle stabilization, disconnection power from the battery, so on and so forth. One place where a possible issue may arise is if you need to roll the dash to free an entangled driver. Sometimes, you may find that the roll cage is secured to the vehicles dash, (they are commonly home made so you never know what has been done) in this situation, the easiest way to roll the dash would be too make just another two cuts on the floor board, one in front, and one behind where you place the ram/spreaders to lift the dash. This is just one item where the difference between your standard street car and a modified street/race car show in extrication. Obviously, every time you roll up to an extrication, nothing is ever the same, and you need to stay on your toes.

Aside from everything else I just wrote, if you are confronted with that kind of situation, take it one step at a time. While time is always critical, every cut counts, so take a breath, step back and allow yourself a good assessment of the vehicle in order to have the extrication flow seamlessly like any other one would.

There are different tools out there specific for the job, however the tools you carry on your rescue will get you through no problem. If you have any problems, or other questions, feel free to write me.

Cody Dean
Watkins Glen International Fire Rescue Captain NASCAR
IHRA Track Rescue Fire Department Extrication Technician

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service