During training I find it hard to keep eveybody involved. For instance, my dept has a Rehab and Support unit that is mostly older women. They do a great job on scenes making sure everyone gets fluids, and on long scenes, food. On fires they also assist by changing bottles and helping the EMTs.
The problem I am having with training, is that they have such a limited role, how do you keep them involved in training.
I

Views: 66

Replies to This Discussion

Well I face that problem, and think ever fire house does. Cause you have different levels of people that your training. Some want to learn, some feel they know it all.
Some just want to see you fail. I find sometimes, you have to do more than one training. Example set up 2,3,4, different stations so that way you can go through them all and knock off a couple a night.

Can not teach pumping with 10 to 20 firefighters around the pump pannel. They start to talk and have different conversations and you have lost control. What I'm trying to do is set the firefighters up as a pit crew. Break it down to 4 or 5 firefighers to do there job and do it over and over again till its like a pit crew. Fast and clean!

I also use others in the Station to help me out, some have some amazing knowledge that can help me out big time. The ones you trust, ask them if they can help out.
Even those that do not do the roles, if you can ask them to help out with a lesson plan gives them more confidence and understanding.

We give each firefighter the role of trainer for a topic. It's different for them to study and put together a presentation. This helps out and gives everyone a chance as well.
Help them out by informing them that this is the area of coverage. IFSTA Book on the subject as well as the SOG's SOP's. Then you get a break as well as help them out, but your role changes as Trainer to T/F.

Another thing to do, is ask what they would like to learn. Another part if they are not in a role they can be trained on. It's great to use them as a patient, put them in a car and have the firefighers get them out. Practice on the correct way or patient care, have them play the roles of Dispatchers, or ask them to take notes and see if they can find any errors that your not picking up on. I mention that Simmulator program, that training to get it to work right you need a couple of extra bodies. One as the dispatcher, one to play the role as the home owner. Ask them to be safety officers,
pointing out safety concerns.
Once again I need to thank you for this forum. It's little bits of advice like this that helps out alot. I am only in my 5th month as training officer and it helps to get input from others. We have the simmulater program and the chief is going to go over it with me sometime this month. He agrees it is a great tool.
I have faced this problem on many occasions when the officers and I decided that we needed to do something. As the Rehab Team Officer of my department I have created training for those involved in the rehab units on the same nights that the other firefighters are training. The training that I provide for them is basic vitals, nourishment classes and covering NFPA standards on what is appropiate to serve and when.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service