I was wondering what does everyone do when they get a called when they our at work and our close to there district.

I usually respond from work for 2nd alarm or 2nd dispatch from work when I can. Then what ever time I miss because of call I have to make it up with in two weeks.

Views: 505

Replies to This Discussion

When I was hired on with the company Dowlands I explained that I am an on call fire fighter and I got the ok from my boss to respond to any fire calls without question.

And they won't dock any pay either so that's nice, and still getting paid for a 9 hr work day.
You are so lucky. My company stipulated that I could not get my picture in the paper while on duty for the fd and if I got hurt, I would be off the clock. Had to report every penny small as it was from the fire dept. because I also worked for a governmental agency w/ my full time job & the state said that could be a confilct of interest.
were i work it usually aint a big prob.. i just tell my boss that .. hey i hve a fire call and then i just leave.. he reallly dont care because he knows im out doing something good for the community.. and he just clocks me out..
I'm not arguing the fact that they can't let you respond. Its definitely their right to keep you at work. and especially if you leaving work is causing them to lose money then of course they are not gonna let you leave.
I work 2 districts away from my own. I normally don't go unless it's a big one (multiple departments man power and such). My boss is a paramedic in his district, so he understands the need for help. He too has left during day when his truck calls for assistance. I just have to wave my pager at him and tell him I have a doctors appointment. Sure, I have to make up the hours, but he understands the commitment that a firefighter has for his duty.
I only respond to calls when I am off from my paid job. I live 45 minutes from where I work, so most incidents are under control before I could get there anyway. We have a combination department, so I know that someone is going to be responding. Lately it seems that all of the interesting stuff occurs when I am at work anyway. Family (and providing for them) has to come before volunteering with the fire dept for me. It's a noble act, but it does not pay the bills.
Chris
I work for myself so I go to most calls. Last year second most in our dept.
There is not much I can do. The Army wont let me out for a call. I had to fight just to join the dept. But if im not at work I roll everytime.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service