I am a volunteer in a small community. We are having issues with our local government. Our village president fired out pump operator and our cheif. He then forced our assistant cheif into retirement. The next thing he did was appo9int himself as the cheif and his buddy as asst. cheif. He is ruining our dept. He doesnt want us to wear our PPE, and he also won't answer any calls. Before when we needed money for equipment or training it wasn't there now all of a sudden we have all the money in the world. I am half tempted to turn in my pager and find a new dept. but I don't want to let down my community. Any advice would be helpful.

Views: 155

Replies to This Discussion

Is all of that legal?
I don't think they can legally do that.... I didn't think you could fire anyone off a volunteer dept.... I would suggest legal action.... I'm sure your dept has a leg to stand on.... What does your community think about this.... Surely there not going to put up w/ this when it comes to there protection?
That is what I am thinking, there must be some rules in place on how the chief is selected. So I would probably find out where those rules our written down, and also check out your state laws in regards to fire depts and fire districts. In some case the law prevents the town government for directly interacting with the dept and have to go through the district, unless someone from the town board joined the dept anyway. The more paper work to prove your case the better. Then take everything you got mail it off to every newspaper and TV station you can think of.

Well that is my two cents anyway.
I totally agree. I know our dept (as small as it is) has protocols on how we elect officers. Who is eligible. Pretty much a rule or guideline on anything we do from the way meetings are conducted to what trucks role out. Also I don't know how your dept works but we have a Rural Board that governs us. A body totally seperate from the town. I would also check to see who is actually in charge of the dept. The village, a Board, A third party, the county? It could possibly be the village board, around here it isn't done that way, but it's possible... The paper and News is a good twist too..... Be prepared to take some heat for it though, and have the proof to back up whatever you say!!!!!! Good Luck
We went through this crap a couple years ago. Nearly drove us under. Alot of politics, alot of people who only care about the toys and the glory.

As a volunteer organization, you should have by laws. As a member, you are entitiled to a copy of those by laws to review.From my experience and from what I get by your post, this was highly illegal, if not unethical.

This migth be a tricky situation though. In our town, we have two companies. The borough chief is supposed to rotate from one company to the other each year. Lately, the council has been appointing the borough chief (the chief from the second company in town). In your case, it all depends on the municpal codes in Wisconsin, your company charter, by laws and municpal ordinances.

All of that information should and must be made available to you, especially the municpal stuff. I'd get ahold of that and start researching. Depending on that, and if the other members agree to pursue it, you might have legal standing to rectify this.

As for funding. In PA, every municipality is required to devote a certain millage of tax revenue for the fire department for operations and such. Again, look into that, as I'm pretty sure that is universal.

Good luck.
I hear of this happening all over the U.S. But the thing you need to know is that you'll be letting your community down if you get killed. He doesn't want you to wear your PPE? So what is going to protect you? He won't go on calls? The who is going to be in charge? Being an officer is not about wearing the cool badge and being able to call yourself a firefighter/ officer/ chief, it's about training and knowing what to do when the time comes, and making sure everyone is safe and goes home after the call.

To answer your question about turning in your pager, the answer is YES, before something bad happens. If enough people leave, the "Chief" will be forced to do something, if not, the town can take care of him.
is your new chief a certified FF? Thats one legal leg to stand on if he is not.
NFPA!!!
that is not legal, if i was you i would contact the attorney generals office in your state and speak with them about the matter.
Besides the legal actions listed, another thought is, how do the rest of the members feel? If everyone is on the same page, it might get a lot of attention if EVERYONE hands in their pagers. Public opinion is the biggest motivator there is.....

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service