Harve, I moved the chat under its own section.
One of my interests in Heavy Rescue is Hydraulic Tools. What kind of tools do you use, and why??

For us, it's Hurst, since about 1975. We saw the need for a tool for use around our area, and Hurst was the "Cutting Edge Technology" in Rescue Tools then. The pump was the first generation Chrysler motor, and the Jaws were the 32A Model, with the "pin on" style cutters.

Views: 590

Replies to This Discussion

Harve, in both departments we use Hurst. Like you we received our first sets in 75. We reviewed different types a few years ago, and decided to stay with Hurst, one training on a change over would be minimal, Cost, and compatibility. Now we are running one of the biggest set ups in the state according to the Hurst repair man. I will give you the break down later. But it’s quite a large set up, Due to a Gov Grant. At the time we were still running the 64 spreader from 75 with up grades. We ran into a problem with the newer metals one day on a MA run. At that time we started to change tactics (sawzalls) and had Hurst come down and investigate, at that time they only had one cutter that could cut the "A" post. With in a year the new Gold series came out. But I will get back to you with the rundown. It a little embarrassing on what I can place in service at one time. But I now it will be needed sooner then we think.
We also use Hurst tools on our Heavy Rescue. The tools are heavier than other brands, but worth it on those more intricate cut jobs. Nothing beats that good ol' JL-32 between the roof and door window when you need to remove those doors with patient compartment intrusion....

To be fare, we also run a smaller mix of Amkus and Holmatro on our first due engines. They are just as good on run of the mill door pops.
Mark - I understand your need for a Combo unit on the Engines for small stuff like a simple door pop. But, for the purpose of discussion, wouldn't it be simpler to use Hurst there as well ? This certainly would make Training easier, and with all equipment by one manufacturer, stuff would be interchangable between units, and you might be able to keep a extra tool in reserve to cover a unit when one is broken.
Well I have been a member at Millle River Vol. EMS and Rescue Squad for 10 years I used to be a big Hurst fan. But when the time came up to replace are rescue tool we went with Holmatro. I love them now. We are going to Holmatro nes Core syetem next year. Are Squad runs about 130 working rescue a year. And they are all good rescue. We run a good part of I 95, In. State 695 and some other reads. I in 8 years of useing Holmatro have not had one problem with there tools. We have 1 combi tool, 1 33", 1 27" spreader, 1 5" and 1 9" cutter, 2 rams. We have a good set up. And there is not to mush out there that we can't cut or do with a Holmatro tool. Most Compinies around us are going to moveing over to the some tool, and getting rid of the Hurst. I would be more then happy to talk to anyone about rescue tool, I have used allmost any tool out there. And I teach Rescue class's too.
Sorry for the delay, Below is thw list of Hurst tool equipment off Ny departments rescue and 2 engines.

2 trimo’s 3 port (electric)
1 mini –might (2 ports)
5 100’ reels
1 open connection
1 transformer spreader
1 X-Tractor S Cutter
1 X-Tractor II Cutter
1 X- Tractor C combi tool Cutter
Ram’s JL-C Series
2 32 ram’s
2 64 ram’s
1 24 ram
2 T-Series Ram’s

2 Ram attachment kits
1 Ram extension kit

Engines

1 mini might (2 ports)
1 old school electric pump (one port)
1 100’ reel
2 Combi tools ML 16s II

My department uses Centaur Rescue Tools. They were Lukas until Hurst bought them out. We think they are the best tools out there.
On our rescue we have the following Centaur equipment.

2 Spreaders - preconnected
2 Cutters - preconnected
1 Cutter - Back up.
1 Combi tool
3 rams
2 Simo units
1 small gas power unit
1 back up hand pump
1 hand pump pedal cutter

On the one engine we have the following Lukas equipment.

1 - Spreader
1 - Cutter
1 - Extending ram

If you want the entire run down of whats on the rescue co to www.sothmediafire.com.
Harve, I would agree with the principal, because you are correct in making it easier on training and maintenance. Our current setup is the result of 3 independant agencies merging into one county-wide organization, and thus inheriting the equipment from each. I came along with the Heavy Rescue, so obviously my preference is with Hurst.... We currently can't afford to replace everything, so we've learned to adapt with what we've got.

We've got to do more with training on each company's piece, because figureing it out on the job is the wrong place. In a pinch, though, doesn't everything have a power unit, a dump valve, and an open/close switch?
We have been running the hurst transformer system for the last two years. This spreader alone has been worth its weight in gold. 27, 32 and 40'' arms at your disposal. It takes about 90 secs to change the arms. Its three spreaders in one.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service