I have my fathers 5A from the late 1970's. I would like to strip the paint but I am looking for a striper that will not make the leather soft. I refrebed a N6A last year and used Jasco paint striper, it really made the leather soft. Please help if anyone has an idea of what I could use.

Thanks
Jason Fullmer
Leather Forever
Stay Safe, Everybody Goes Home, FTM

Views: 7495

Replies to This Discussion

I just did my helmet. If you have access to a butane torch you need to heat the paint till it bubbles, let it cool, then scrape most of it off. Then finish by sand blasting it at a low PSI. other wise it could fade the design. take a look at my pics I took pics from start to finish. I used Rust-Oleum high heat grill paint. good up to 1200 -1400Dergees
Jason I would never use any Chemical stripper on a leather since chemicals break down Leathers natural fibers, although not as effective using alight touch with a sanding grit would be betterI would suggest by hand... again youdont want to damage or affect the leatherm Around the rivets using the corner of a screwdriver to tap and chip works pretty good without scratching or damaging please remember restoration is tedious and painstaking To be honest I would question the sensability of repainting a vintage helmet anyway since its not approved to wear the astetics of the helmets career and Your fathers proud career are all there ready for youto destroy.. Think about it..
I use a sand blaster with shell blasting media. It removes paint and does not damage the leather.
I called MSA/Cairns today and spoke with a sales rep. He told me they can strip/repaint(paint only, no natural) and put new reflective stickers on for $58.00. Shipping not included. You will have the helmet back in 45-60 business days.
LOL wow Legacy...good job on the post for these folks ... I have to giggle a little bit cuz I bought my 1st 5a in 1976 for 60 dollars and its still nire then able to do the job, if not for "Approval".... strip and paint for 60 bucks seems high, till you actually strip one one time....lol without killing it..(again) of course ..lol
I have tried to paint my N6A three times but I can not seem to get it right. All with primer and high heat paint. I may have it done if I am chosen for officers (red helmet) position for 2009.
Check your local Lowes or Home depot for a product called citrus stripper it is orange and has no chemicals in it. Works great have done may helmets with it you can also get a cleaner by the same company that will take off the residue. Get paint at thefirestore.com its the closest paint to what carins uses. Hope this helps.
I have a New Yorker probably mid to late 90's. Its just a shell. Does anyone know if it can be refurbed with the guts?
Sure, contact Cairns they should be able to give you an estimate as to how much it will cost to bring it back to condition.. if its a n5a or sam houston..if its not an approved helmet shell, they might not refurb it since you will prolly try to wear it... The fire store used to carry replacement liners and parts for non approved before Msa got involved but I dont think they do anymore but you could always ask... then youhave to figure out what to do with/how to place the liner... who would remove all the guts to an approved helmet anyway?
unless while trying to defunk the headliner, & they botched the job..
Thanks for the reply. I will most definitely call them.
as I stated, I justwentin to the fire store.com and while they do sell replacement parts/suspention systems for 880's 1010's and all the poly units , I do NOT see any indication to them for the leathers.
They do have front holders and stuff like that available for all models and other minor parts . I should mention , They carry lots of parts for all manufacturers, not just Cairns/msa frontpieces and Paint etc..
chris , check out thefirestore.com the have cairns replacement part not sure if they would be any cheaper then actually calling cairns but its worth a try

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service