Hello all!Im in rope/high angel rescue 1 now and think this is something I really want to continue!!! Any and all info that you think might help please forward to me.

**************UPDATE****************************************
Just completed rope rescue 1 and have to wait until Sept08 for rescue 2

Thank you ahead of time
FF1 Donald Fringer

Views: 84

Replies to This Discussion

The best advice I can give you, take the basic skills and knots you learned in Rope I and PRACTICE THEM LIKE YOU LIFE DEPENDS ON THEM. One of the most proficient rope rescue techs I ever met had numerous sections of scrap rope around his house, and in his car.... he would practice knots every chance he got. This included tying knots while waiting in a barber shop, tying knots every night before he went to bed, tying knots during down time at work etc...
I am new to the rope rescue world myself--though I have immersed myself in the field to the best of my ability. The fact that you are on firefighter nation--speaks well to your committment and passion--which in my opinion are both very important. What I believe is that it take experience to master any skill--and unfortunately, rope rescues are what we coin "Low frequency--high risk" responses. After you take the class--READ the manual, cover to cover! Most people don't do this--and whose to blame them--half the stuff you will have already been taught--but the other half, well, that the important part.

To be safe--the key is not only understanding HOW to perform a task or set up a system--it is KNOWING WHY.

Practice setting up systems: Lowering, raising, belay, etc.; get to know the equipment carried by your department--high angle rescu proficiency takes time--not having time is no excuse--and it sure as hell won't matter that you didn't have the time when you are 200' above a mide face pick off.

I am no expert--in fact I am a total beginner--I love the work--but I am the first to admit, accept, and grasp the fact that I KNOW VERY LITTLE. In fact--that is probably the most important think I know about tech. rescue is that I KNOW VERY LITTLE. It will take me years before I am where I want to be--in the meantime--I will study hard, listen harder, and practice endlessly.

Hope that helps-- stay safe.

Gabe
Dude your so right, thats all I've been hearing, career and volunteer. I love climbing, hiking, and outdoors, so i started ResQTech and everyone I've met said nothing is more important than knots and mechAdv. practice.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service