We are seeing a change in out fire stations with some leaving and new people starting. What is your policies for your station with recruits! For
our fire dept. we call them green dots. As a green dot is placed on there helmet so that when another station helps out. They know not to put this person in a position that you would put a seasoned firefighter in.

Although from chatting with others hear, I have heard that new recruits are all eager to kick in that door and rush into that burning house. Even getting on the truck we arrange it so that there are mores seasoned firefighters than all one truck with green dots.

I hope this is part of the discussion, on rescuing the rescuers. As I have heard that one has been told not to do something. You turn your back and they have gone into that burning house. With out a charge hose and as well
no communications of telling command that they have entered....

Views: 114

Replies to This Discussion

On our dept we have Black helmet that say training on the crest. All our new guys wear this helmet for a full year. They are always assigned to a vet. After a year they are given a yellow helmet that means they are ready but we still keep an eye on them.
That sounds pretty cool, only problem for us. Is that we have 5 mutual areas we help out with. As they all wear different colour helmets. Ours are red for firefighter, yellow for Capt. and White for Dist. Chief / Asst. Dist. Chief / Deputy / Chief / Fire Prevention. Now for the other dept. they wear black for firefighter and red for Capt. as white used common in the area for DC / ADC / Chief / Deputy. Another has the black as Capt. so it's all a little confusing for us... But like your ideal.... Other than the cost of helmets for replacing....

Mace
On my Department, probies used to wear yellow helmets (which earned them the nickname "lemonheads", while veteran firefighters wore black helmets. We've since changed that policy and now probies and veterans wear black helmets with the exception that probies have a different color helmet shield.
Hello I have been a fire fighter with the Inuvik NWT Fire Department now for 7 years and have seen alot of people come and go, a large number of the department is rookies now, though the more seasoned Fire fighters our officers have blue and red helmets and the Chief's is white.

Us regular fire fighters have yellow helmets. We all attend regular Wednesday night training though the new guys may do something alittle different we eventually are able to get the same level of training.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service