If you were in the postion to hire firefighters, what would your requirements be? I understand that larger cities broaden their horizons when it comes to hiring recruits, but is it fair that qualified people apply and get put on a list and get passed over by younger, inexperienced people..... WITH GED'S!!!!! I think that as the STLFD holds themselves to be one of the top fire departments in the country that they would hold preference to those with proper qualifications that don't require a certain "skin" color. I know for fact that time and recruit spots are wasted because people are hired who do cannot physically and mentally perfom the job and either quit the academy or quit the job soon after getting on the truck. And a step further, new hires cannot pass a simple EMT class within a year of being hired and then are terminated. As seen in the city and several outlying fire department/districts, qualified people are being passed over for underqualified, uneducated people to meet certain quotas. And as recent events have shown what happens when qualified people are passed over and underqulafied's are sent to a location right outside the fire house and someone dies. It's amazing with all of the trials and tribulations in the city that someone hasn't died or severely injured due to lack of qualified personnel in officer roles.
Race wars need to stop. Hire equally or don't hire at all. Don't say you rid 50/50 requirements so you go and have a 75/25 class. Qualified people first. There are plenty of people out there who poses the certificates and can prove to be an assest to your department. The test in the city was ruled fair by a federal judge, promote them, move on. Learn from whatever mistakes and assure it doesn't happen again. It's ludacris to let this stuff fester for this many years. This stupid stuff is tearing the fire service apart and needs to stop. It is a serious job, life and death situations are made. This is not a job for you if you want the girls to like you, or your heart is not in it.

My requirements for fire service........
20+ years of age
FF I/II State Certified (Prior to Acceptance)
EMT/B Or EMT/P Certified (Prior to Acceptance)
Presently Enrolled in College (HS and GED doesn't get you in)
Military Service Experienced Preferred (Need Leadership)

Views: 68

Replies to This Discussion

wow matt....seems you are as frustrated as nick and I.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service