The group is starting to grow a little, so lets start discussing some things. Question: What do you do with the old timers that have been around, and have great experience, but refuse to train? I don't know if it is because they feel they know everything or if they feel it’s beneath them to train with the younger guys/gals. How can I get them to bring their experience and Knowledge into the training?

Views: 132

Replies to This Discussion

I told a few my old guys durning some BSing that the best thing a old fireman can do is to show a young fireman how to become an old one.
I would start by having them mentor the new firefighters on another day/ night than your current training day. This way they can share their knowledge and make them feel as the “rookies” are not pushing them back hopefully this will start that spark again. If that doesn't work maybe they need to be asked what are there intentions on your dept. maybe they need to go to honorary status?
I'm a very young lieutenant in a volunteer dept. so I often run into the problem of having the "Old Timers" not wanting to train when i'm putting something on. I totally understand when this comes up, half these guys have helped raise me. however I don't feel this gives them an excuse to not train at all. One of the things I have noticed that kinda started helping is having them hold a training and teach the young guys some of what they know. Not only does this help the young guys with more knowlege it also makes the older guys brush up on the skills so they can teach a class. Just an idea i've started trying to use, maybe it'll work out alright
I believe this is somthing they will want to do not have to but as far as getting them to train our laws in Indiana to atleast get 24hrs a year to mantain your fire cert. that can be 12 in house and 12 out or all in house but you have to do atleast 12 in house but you have to log it just like an EMT cert. But they still have to train no matter the age.
I like the thought process that this involves, but I would like to approach a thought with you about agencies that take on too much territory and can't deliver an efficient service to the public. Read my latest blog posting.
I have to agree with LT. Leatherhead on this one. It also may be some of the older guys are afraid to train with newer methods of doing things. It’s not just put the wet stuff on the red stuff anymore. Bringing the younger members together with the senior members to train and share an idea is the key to success.
personally if they didn't want to train, I would make the "Old" firefighter take on the "New" firefighter's task while on scene and at the fire house. It will re-inforce what they know as well as "piss" them off but it shows them that's why they are in their position and you are in yours. might take awhile but they will realize "If I train a little more Louey will let up on me."
In this profession we shouldn't let our firefighters get complacent! but if something like that doesn't do it for you, get them to be proactive. Let them mentor but make sure they are ready for the undertaking because by doing that they become an extension of you (company officer).
he/she may have the years behind him but that's just it... years! a standard that was set 20 years ago (random number) isn't going to be set in stone, this profession we're in is very dynamic and he should be performing like he/she is the "New" firefighter. I know that being the company officer, the job is to teach and take charge so take charge by teaching!!!

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service