Hey yall - was wondering if anyone had any advice/suggestions on wearing hardhats in Level A suits - if you do - why and if you dont, why not-

Views: 129

Replies to This Discussion

WE are required to wear hardhats during any haz-mat. I think, but not sure, that its an OSHA requirement.
We have tried a variety of different options for hard hats in our suits. We started with regular hard hats - Okay if they stayed where they were supposed to be. I spent most of one response having my partner direct me while I read the warning label on the inside of the hard hat....

We then went to bicycle helmets, which worked pretty well but don't really accomplish the same protection we are looking for.

We have settled on USAR style helmets. They are light, stay in place and provide protection.
I have noticed that hard hat tend to not wear good. We have started trying out bicycle helmets. I will let ya'll know the out come
On our team we were issued the hard hats like you could find at Home Depot for about $4.95. I think we got a free paint stirrer with each one now come to think of it.

Some municipalities have the motto “Nothing is too good for the men.” So we got plenty of it. Nothing that is.

I picked up a Bullard Advent like you would use in technical rescue. It is comfortable to wear, offers a lot better protection the Home Depot models, and stays in place nicely because of the chin strap.

Hope this helps……

J Mac
My team wears MSA-style construction hard hats inside our Level A, but we got the version with the elastic chin straps so they actually stay on your head. When you're working around bump hazards, they're nice to have. You don't need high-impact USAR or technical rescue style helmets for most hazmat - simple OSHA construction-type helmets are generally adequate.
We also use a USAR style hat, it provides us the most protection and the least amount of interferance.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service