I've got some questions for anyone with the knowledge =)...

Does anyone have advice for photographing fire scenes in general?

What about at night? Do you use a flash? When you do use a flash any tips for reducing the reflective stripes?

Thank you!

Views: 125

Replies to This Discussion

Whitney...

There are a lot of pitfalls in fire photography. #1 Getting to the scene soon enough where there are still flames showing to have an attention getting photo. My luck has been that by the time I get there the flames have been knocked-down or put out before my arrival. Since I am not allowed to have emergency lights... I have to flow with normal traffic and of course pull-over when there is an emergency vehicle behind me. # 2 My experience has been that using a flash is a lost cause. If you do flash, then all the reflective materials and firemen's turn-out gear and apparatus just glare back into the camera lens. At night, if you can get close enough to the structure or vehicle, your best bet is to use the fire's light to get a silouhette or a dimly lit picture. My department has a squad vehicle that has 2-900o watt lamps on top, but is not used for every call. I don't attempt to take lighting of my own because it "could" distract the firemen and cause a dangerous or possible fatal situation. Using a single lens reflex camera with through-the-lens focusing, without adequate light it will not aquire a focus and will not trigger the lens. Generally I FORGET ABOUT taking night photos. #3 With adequate light, my first concern is safety. I do not park vehicle in the midst of emergency vehicles. I will park enough distance away to keep my vehicle out of the way and off-the-road as far as possible to keep it from getting damaged. Secondly, when I am walking along the roadway, I will watch public vehicles on the road as well as the emergency vehicles to be sure I am not an un-willing pedestrian injury or fatality. When approaching the fire or accident scene, I do not immediately assume that my presence is welcome. You have to feel-out the environment, some law enforcement and property owners object to a photographer even being there. Generally the members of my fire department and those responding as mutual aide know me, but I will make sure that they know I'm there before I start taking photos. I will not approach a vehicle or structure closer than I feel it's safe and prudent to do so. I try to make use of a ZOOM or TELEPHOTO lens and stay as far from the object involved as I possibly can. I DO NOT TRY for HERO or SPECTACULAR... the main object for me is to report the story in pictures as safely as I possibly can. Lastly, I use the "sports" mode fast action shutter to reduce blurring to a minimum, I take several of the same shot because just one may not be enough to capture the shot correctly and I compose the picture as quickly as I can to get a photo that will not only have the crashed and/or burning object in it, but will also capture the firemen in action and as much apparatus as possible. I HOPE THIS HELPS.
I also do not park too close when on scene either (though the chief has told me I could park closer than I have been). I also have not carried my flashlight on calls at night and ended up needing more light but all I did is have a talk with the chief and some of the personnel who asked why the photos were so dark to let them them know why and what needs to be done to ensure better night photos. So far no more night calls have come through. (Good) I start to photograph as soon as I come upon the scene and continue right up until I am right at the scene. Then I start to move around to get more shots. Main things: keep an eye out for more units if they are still coming, don't get in the way of the crew(s) working, let one of the firefighters by a unit know you are on scene and ask that command be notified of such (for everyones safety). By doing this you will gain more trust as well as better access over time. I use flash when needed though from my experience, no flash is better for the most part at night depending on what part of the scene is being photographed. I have also photographed the reflective stripes on the units prior to night fires in a late afternoon early evening training session to see what would happen with and without flash so I could see how to do it. Try to shoot at a slight angle to reduce the flash back and it should work.
Doing my share of photos with FDs, it's kind of learn as you go for your area and FDs. Getting to know the chiefs and firefighters so they know you. The easiest way I found for that is to give the FDs the photos/videos for their websites, training, and members. Also offer to take photos/video of training sessions. Take photos of FDs and members other than at the fire scene. Hang around the FD and get a little involved other than photos. Be one of them, that will go a long way. The best photos will come when you are just snapping away. You won't realize it til you go back, download, start processing your photos, and all of a sudden you will say, wow that came out good. Don't be afraid to take too many photos. With digital, it's worth taking too many. Many will be delete, delete, delete, but the saves will be worth it. The good photos will be in the middle of the bad photos. You will learn by taking lots of photos what works and what doesn't for your FD and area. Like Ittywah said, the first problem is getting there while there are still flames. Although I get first dispatch on a lot of the calls, the response time, parking, getting dressed in full gear (for any kind of involved fire) and getting into scene all takes up time. I am permitted and usually go directly to the scene rather than on the trucks. Second, night photos are always tough. Sometimes I can get great night photos and other times forget it. It is mostly the back lighting from the trucks and area that helps with great night photos. No flash, however, if things are slow, try a couple flash shots of firefighters or trucks, from a little distance, or in low light. Sometimes you will get a decent photo of reflective rather than blur. Especially if there is a decent amount of back lighting. Again, the main thing is being accepted by the FD. I am lucky as I have been a police officer for over 38 years and involved with FDs in my area, so I am a little more known. But I still do everything as a FD member, not a police officer. I have full turnout gear with a reflective vest that has "Fire Photographer" on it. I keep my gear in my personal car so I can respond directly to the scene. It will come to you, just keep at it. Like I said, take more photos than needed, from arrival until you leave. The good photos will be in there. Let the FD's/Chiefs have all the photos/video they want. Before you know it, they will be calling you and asking you to come to training sessions to take photos. Then once you've got the photo thing down, start taking video along with your photos. The last thing you will learn, they will all say, "Don't take a photo of me". But as soon as you do, the first thing they say is "hey, can I have a copy of that photo". Enough of rambling on, some of my photos are on my site at: http://ward17219468.fotki.com - Thanks - WARD

I agree Ward. I have been the photographer for over 2 years already (currently on my 3rd) and have started to get called to photograph their training now. Normally I only photograph the training if I am doing a ride-along or am in the area and have my cameras with. I still do not have gear (chief won't issue any - states it isn't needed) but I have my own vests since I am also a storm spotter so I wear that on the scene. I also have 2 hard hats in my truck for the storm season but now carry year round in case I need one on a scene. The last fire I was on, I had my amber led's activated as I arrived and the cops flagged me through right away as well as about 6 or so vehicles then shut the road down for LDH to be laid to the hydrant.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service