What are some of the biggest obstacles you face as instructors in today's fire service? How have you managed to overcome these obstacles? what advice or tools can you offer to others?

Fro

Views: 49

Replies to This Discussion

Jeff,
The biggest obstacles I find is having students sign up for classes they aren't qualified for. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to teach an advanced class but having to frequently stop to explain what a hose is. (ok that's extreme, but I've seen students to a lot of things that leave me scratching my head. Recently I taught a class where I had a student put on his SCBA upsidedown. This was in an advanced class. Fortunatly it was caught before live fire operations).
Unfortunatly, we can't always pick and choose our students.
I often times find myself (and other instructors) lowering our standards (which I abhor) or when we have a high enough ratio, matching that student up with an instructor for one on one time. I also like to use those students with more experience to mentor those with less, but I feel at times that this will take from the educational experience of the student who is prepared.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service