Hey everyone. Just a quick question. How many of you Codes officials do fire safety inspections of appartment buildings and commercial occupancies? How often do you do them? Every 3 years? Annually?

I work in the Codes office as a GIS Analyst, and I am currently working towards Deputy Codes Officer in charge of the inspections. We are having difficulty proving the need for the village to appoint me and get me going on the fire inspections. Tragically, last night at about 9:00 PM we had a fire in a 2 Tennant appartment building where an elderly woman had to be rescued, and revived. She was burned on 70% of her body. There were NO SMOKE DETECTORS in the building and the fire started in the apartment next door to her. It grieves me to know that if we had been doing these annuall inspections, she could have been saved. It really bothers me and Im taking it hard.
Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Moose

Views: 213

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Moose, I have been involved in the Fire Prevention Bureau for my department for 12 years now. Currently I am plan examiner/new construction inspector. We are currently working towards revamping our inspections. We have the 5th largest industrial park in Illinois, so those buildings end up taking prec ident. We are a fire protection district, and we have 2 full time, and 3 part time hire back inspectors (myself included in the part time). Apartments are done by the local building department or our village annually. If they spot any issues that they feel we need to know about, they contact us. Commercial and office type buildings we do annually, and we try to do the industrial annually but honestly, its more like every three years (depending on hazard group). High hazard groups we do annually. If any further questions, I'd be glad to help out
we conduct a safety inspection along with our regular inspections. We do have regulations that provide for this. We do not have a different list, we just do it as we inspect. every building is inspected at least one time a year.
Hi Moose
I just joined FFn recently and have come across your article. I don't have the IBC with me but to my knowledge if the building was designed prior to installation of smoke detectors, i.e. the year the building was built, then it is not required to put one unless a major renovation happens to the building to bring it up to Code.

I will double check the book this week and get you the answers you need and maybe I can also learn a thing or two.

Thanks,
Rossi
Here in WI we inspect only the common areas of apartments buildings, we are not allowed to enter the apartments unless asked to by management or the tenants. We basically look for extinguishers and make sure that the exit lights are lit.
Hi moose, here in Monterrey Mexico, we have to rely on laws regarding fire safety, are very similar to Texas, but as in other states of the union, there are also some problems using Smoke detectors in buildings old and we have to perform the inspections with a special government order, I suggest you check your local laws and backed up with orders based on the requirements of the municipality relating to health and housing risks. I have understood that there must be a refusal to perform the inspections, there is a section in the law which can make use of a special order of the court.
The Municipality I work in is located just outside Philadelphia. We utilize the 2009 International Fire Code and the 2009 Property Maintenance Code. Each multi-family occupancy is inspected by Code Enforcement on a three rotating basis. We inspect the larger MOD's but only the common areas.

According to code, all sleeping areas and common areas are required to have a smoke detector. Building with more than 16 apartments are required to have fire alarm systems.

We also inspect on a three year rotating basis. However, if the building has a sprinkler system or has been deemed a target hazard, it is inspected annually. This usually includes mid-rise buildings and the larger garden style complexes.
we conduct fire safety inspections in all rental properties (including single family rentals) and duplexes, condos, apartments etc. We have a hazard index that we use to determine whether or not a follow-up inspection or another revisit would be required. We also respond to all complaints dealing with residential occupancies that fall under our jurisdiction.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service