Firefighters are supposed to be big, tough and strong. Never avoiding danger and never, ever show fear. It's what we do... right?

Well, in 2003, I was diagnosed with a grade 2 astrocytoma (brain tumor) which was surgically removed. That moment changed my life forever and I have never been so scared in my life... Twice, because two years later the cancer began to grow again and I was forced to undergo another round of brain surgery.

I have a whole new look on life and the fire service, one I should have had from the start:

I no longer race to the fire station, risking life and limb just to be the first one there. - I drive a little slower and still make the truck.

I no longer jump off the truck and grab the nozzle just so I can be the first one in. - I will back up the new guys and still get to go in and fight the beast.

I no longer push myself to the point where I am sucking mask, just to be the last one out. - I start out as soon as the bell begins to sound so that I can get back in sooner.

I no longer hang around the fire station just in case there is another call. - I go home to spend time with my family... If there is a call, I will still make the truck, but I might never have seen my son take his first steps or might not be there to see him off on his first date.

If you have cancer, it will change your life.

If you are a firefighter with cancer, it will change both of your lives! The one with your real family and the one with your fire department family.

-----------------------------------------------

If you are a firefighter that has hear the words "You have cancer", I know you are scared. It's normal. Don't be afraid to speak up and talk to other firefighters that have heard the same words.

That is why I started this group... to give firefighter's with cancer a place to ask questions and talk.

Welcome!

Views: 83

Replies to This Discussion

Well said Brother, when the Doctor told me I had kidney cancer life was never the same again. I now take time to do the little things, like play ball with my son and tell my wife and kids how much I love them. God bless you and stay stronge...Mike
There is also a national organization of firefighters willing to talk to and mentor those being diagnosed with cancer! Called the Firefighter Cancer Support Network it was founded in 2006 by Mike Dubron, an LA County FF, and has since spread to approximately 30 states/cities aoround the country. I am the regional director for Florida, and am a prostate cancer survivor myself!
Our national organization can be reached at (866) 994-FCSN (3276) and they will find a fellow survivor that has gone thru a similair battle as you may currently face and talk to and encourage you thru your issues!

Believe me when I tell you that cancer in the fire service is a much larger issue than we want to think about! Approximately 35% of deaths on my department are directly related to cancer, and in 2009, according to the CDC this should account for approximately 22% of the population! We currently have several members being treated as we speak, and approximately 100 survivors of different types of cancers

I can only STONGLY suggest, SCBA's during fire ops, and overhaul, and drivers need to be ready to don if the smoke shifts, and cleaning of your PPE after every major usage, read NFPA 1851!

Stay Safe, and hopefully Cancer Free, Otherwise It WILL CHANGE YOUR WORLD!!

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service