So ladies (and gents) I'm hoping you can help me out. I am currently a paramedic and am going to the fire academy in August. I am in fair shape, I was a gymnast until about 2 years ago. I have been going to the gym and starting to get my fitness back up but I am still really worried about the academy. Any tips or advice? I work hard but anything to help me through would be so much appreciated.
That's great for you! I do have a few of advices for you!
1. Make sure you are comfortable being claustrophobic.
You have no idea how many cadets are AUTOMATICALLY FLUNKED OUT of school for freaking out in Search and Rescue drills!
I practice this drill before fire academy.
Here's what you'll need:
- Workout clothes (with knee pads and yard gloves)
- 2 backpacks full of sand or rocks
- 25-50 feet of cheap rope
- Ski goggles that you have blacked out with duct-tape
- a big local playground available at 5-6am in the morning
- cheap digital watch with countdown timer
(Keep increasing the times each time you do this drill).
Thank you so much! That helps a lot. Some of my worry is being able to do it since I'm about 5'2" but hearing encouragement from other women helps a lot. I'm a bit hard-headed so I'm pretty sure I can do this with the right preparation so thanks for the advice. I will try it.
No problem! Let me know how it going!