Hey y'all. Our Explorer Post will be celebrating 18 years this fall.

We've had runs of good and bad people in and out of the Post, and are currently in a dry spell of sorts.

As the Station Captain, I'm looking to invigorate the Post and the membership a little bit.

One of the things is making sure that each kid has his/her own gear, which we will be able to do for them, using old gear of ours (we switched colors). The up side to this is that at quick glance you'll be able to tell an Explorer (they'll be in yellow gear) from a FF. We'll also be striping the Explorer helmets completely differently from ours, and from any of the towns around us as well.

What other things do you guys do in your organizations to keep you "apart" visually on the fireground from FF's? Our safety officer is recommending vests to be worn over turnouts as an added-extra measure of safety/visual identification.

What do you think? And what is it that you do to tell the difference.

Thanks,
rr...

Views: 1887

Replies to This Discussion

well im with the fire explorers in mi and we have the choice to buy our own gear as long as the helmet is orange if it is a traditnal and yellow or black if its a metro also the coats and pants have to be yellow and also probies have black pants but thats all we do to stick out if we go on a run
At the moment the only difference between us and the real guys is that we have yellow helmets that say VFA on them, and the real guys have the older style black helmet. All of our non-bunker gear uniforms are clearly marked as Explorer instead of Fire/Rescue.

In my other post (law enforcement) we had opposite colored uniforms, marked uniforms, and were prohibited from doing certain things to seperate us from the real guys.

So as for your question, you can't have too much safety. But at the same time you dont want to seperate the explorers so much that they feel like the fire department equivalent of a rent-a-cop, just standing around doing odd jobs and looking like a dork. Be safe but don't alienate them...
Our explorers get the exact same gear that our paid firefighters wear. It is usually older, but higher seniority, like chief, gets newest. The only difference, is we have orange helmets.
at our post we have orange helmets and wear black gear where the FF's wear the tan gear
my post use old turnouts with no name on the back and galls.com have helmet decals that say explorer on the crescent that the advisor wants on our helmets.
What we had with Orange County Fire (CA) was "EXP" on the sides of our helmets in 3 in. letters. You may also try a totally different color/style helmet. Hope it helps... TCSS, Ric
We don't do this but I have seen a department do this. Were we uselly put our names on the fire jackets, they put the explorer design there. We don't do it but you can see the Difference in Fire Fighters and Explorers.
Hey my name is PJ and I am a fire department explorer with Fort Oglethorpe, GA (POST 2305!). In my department each explorer has his/her own gear. our helmets are what distinguish us from the rest of the department. Our firefighters wear black helmets, lieutenants & captains wear red, and chiefs wear white(like everywhere else). Explorers are issued a yellow 1010 helmet with green tets and a blue front that says FOFD Explorer with a big 2305 in the middle. We also are issued an orage PAS (Personnel Accountability System) Tag. I was given (by a member of my station) a yellow New yorker and i have a custom front for it with my station number on it(its a black front). If you would like to see pictures of us (and some other awesome fire pics) you can go to my website which is www.pjk815.com (the explorer pics are under miscellaneous pictures) You can also see my departments website at www.fofdfire.com While you are at my sire please take the tie to sign the guestbook. Id appreciate it!
Blue Turnouts, Different colored Helmets, Blue, Black, Yellow, I got a great idea, make em look like a rainbow
Green Turnout Pants with red tunout coat and blue helmet
we really dont have a difference... ours is recycled gear and its identical to the firefighters.. some of our gear says other stations though and most of our gear doesn't fit so thats a good indicator.
Different colored Helemts and
Different colored uniforms
our turnout gear is the same color as the FF/PM but its all about the helemt color.
Also our gear tends to b old with lots of repairs in them
other wise that is the only way to tell the difference
We get old gear from our dept the only thing that seperates us from the Dept visually is our explorers wear yellow helmets and the dept wears black and our uniform shirts are blue instead of white.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service