To all you newbies out there, be careful in training fires. Don't stand by your department officers if you think they are doing something stupid just because you don't want to get yelled at. In my first training fire, after being in the fire department for just about a year, i was with 2 instructors that I trusted very much and it almost got one instructor, my ex-girlfriend, and myself killed. We were burning down a 2 story house for interior practice and had already burnt the second floor bedrooms and bathroom. We were in the process of watching the fire build in the downstairs living room when the one instructor decided to throw some diesel on the ceiling to make the fire grow faster. Well it did make the fire grow faster, too fast infact. Even with all the windows broken out and the second floor burnt away, we built up enough heat and fire in that room to cause a flashover. Luckily we weren't fully in the room and weren't hurt too badly. On the down side we did ruin almost $10,000 in new turnout gear and airpacks and suffered some pretty good first and sedond degree burns. I never did say anything to that instructor who threw the fuel on the ceiling but i wish I had. I am just glad that I walked away with the knowledge I gained and now know not to just bite my tongue. If you screw around, you will get hurt. That fire almost killed me. I am just glad I am still here and I will never look at a house fire in the same way. I have been in the fire service for almost 7 years now and love it. Only death will keep me out of the station and off the trucks.

Views: 96

Replies to This Discussion

Communication, communication, communication... If the instructor wanted to add more fuel, everyone must be out of the hot zone. One
thing that some over look, is that training can be sometimes more dangerous than the a call. Fact is that our gear puts us in further than
what was done maybe 10 to 20 years ago.

Sometimes we put safety on the side line, when training. When we are
doing live fire training, we have Instructors as well as Safety Officers.
As the Instructor is busy with training, and require someone to over look all areas of safety.

We put a lot of trust in our gear, as well as in our fellow firefighter.
I hope the instructor was delt with, on this matter.
Good training bad situation , just remember your safety if itdon't feel right get out .

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service