This happened about 2 months ago.We responded to a possible fire in an attic. The dispatcher informed us that the resident reported a popping noise coming from the attic and she thought it was a fire. We arrived at the address to find a long drive that lead to 3 different residents. Me and the other hoseman already had air packs on and ready to fight fire. When we got to where the 3 houses were at, my sergeant noticed what looked like an elderly man laying in the driveway that led to another house. We looked at the house that we was originally going to and didn't see no signs of fire, so we continued to check out the man laying in the drive way. At that time someone seen that he had been shot and then I seen someone else laying by a truck at the other house that was about 100 yards or so on down the drive. My captain decided it was time to back out and reported to our Batt. Chief what we had found. As we got back to the truck we noticed the gunman standing about 75 ft or so away from the truck. The truck had us block from him seeing us until we got back. There wasn't no place for us to go because behind us were 2 ponds, so the driver got back in the truck and started backing out. The guy said something, but we weren't interested in what he had to say and keeped backing out. The man then walked back behind his house. The police got on the scene and disarmed the man. As we went back to the patients, the police officer said he had a shot gun. The popping the the woman heard in the attic was bullets entering her house. The man shot and killed one man and the other person by the truck was a woman that remains in the hospital today, still in poor condition. He put over 100 bullet holes in this other persons house. We wondered why he didn't shot us the I thought of the reason. When we seen him he had a rifle in his hand and when he went back to his house he came back with the shot gun. The reason why is he ran out of bullets with the rifle. Later it was confirmed that his inttentions were to shot every one that came up the drive way. What I'm saying is we love to fight fire and when the call comes in we get all pumped up and ready to go, but always keep in mind that when you get there be aware of your surroundings that includes the people around you as well, because you may not know exactly what you got until it's to late. We had a Higher Power on our sides that day.

Views: 59

Replies to This Discussion

That's amazing, thanks for the info. I have heard one story simmilar to that. Was at a Officer Training Course, as the crew jump off the truck. They heard a shot, when they realized that it was someone shooting at them. The hit the ditch, but problem was they where about 30ft from the truck and not one of them brought a radio with them.

Capt. joked the the lowest firefighter, saying it's up to you to get back to the truck and radio for help.
Well they stayed in the ditch for about 20 minutes till the dispatcher responded police and another fire to help out. After not hearing back from them after about 10 minutes. There was a standard put in place by the dispatchers.

Two lessons learned, SOP are there for a reason. Like you said, we are all pumped up and it's up to us to take a second and think before getting off the truck and look. First thing they always teach you is that make it safe for you. Not safe for you, then it's not safe to cont. unless you can make it safe.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service