I have always loved being a firefighter and hanging around the fire house with the guys. Being a Christian, its hard sometimes to sit around and listen to some of the talk that goes on. Some guys respect my beliefs and watch what they say but even then it is almost like I put them in a bad position. There is one fellow fireman that is also a Christian and that helps. Does anyone else have this problem and what do you do?

Views: 210

Replies to This Discussion

Woops!

The comment earlier I was referring to was by Tom G! Sorry if that confused anyone. =)
remember, you can't expect non christians to act like christians. YOU take the high road! YOU don't participate in the sex talk. YOU don't cuss and carry on like a heathen. YOU worry about you and Jesus and his light will shine, let him do the saving, YOU be the ambassador! As you consentrate on behaving Godly, notice I didn't say perfect, you will see the others come to you when they are in need. They will stand by you even in the midst of teasing. We all tease each other like brothers and sisters do, that my friend is normal in a family. Lighten up a tad and don't hate the sinner but the sin. Look at the others as God saw and loved you, tough to get butt hurt when you're praying for them.
I'm sure anybody who spends a lot of time around first responders probably has run across this many times. Like most things it helps to understand things from their perspective. The firefighters involved are probably reacting to the stress of the job in the same way as those who trained them years ago. This includes the language used.

As Christians and chaplains it is our job to teach them new, faith building ways to deal with things. But be careful this must be done gently, lovingly, and cannot be made to conform to any arbitrary time table. The best thing you can do is lead by example. Keep your Christian example there, where Christ has called you to be. Don't just tell them there are better ways to deal with the stress of things, or wanting to be "one of the guys," show them !
i am the chaplain of a small department. The majority of the men and women here "TRY" to watch the profanity. There are some things they could say that will make me cring and i will not go into detail. However, I believe that if they watch what they say around me, then perhaps, it will make them conscience of the way that they talk around others, therefore, hopefully, causing them to use less profanity everywhere else. Thats what i am praying for anyway. lol. All civil servants should understand that we are to work on an professional level. Profanity throws that professionalism down the drain. If I were not a preacher or even a christian, heaven forbid, I do not believe that i would want a vulgar Idiot working on me! Amen.
After 23 years serving in the military and 12 in the fire service, I have heard about everything you can imagine, if you let that offend you, you will go nuts. We are Christians living in a world that is not, even Jesus lived among sinners. so it is not a problem we can fix, just live our lives and let other see what we have and if we get an opportunity to, we can help them along.
Bro. wayne. you have been given loads of advice and they all sound the same and pretty much are. The best thing is that they are all right. We all know who our Lord is and that we ARE a peculiar persons and as long as we are here in their world, then we will have to endure. stay steady in your walk, remember, in due season you shall reap. God bless you brother. Be safe.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service