What is your opinion on the 3 department response for structure fires. Some are for it and some are not. Some of the issues being discussed now are (educating dispatchers on fire, 2 department response for some incidents and 2 department responses on fire alarms). Talk to other FFs in your departments and post their ideas along with yours.
Thanks

Views: 79

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I had the pleasure of sitting in the chief's meeting for 3 hours discussing this issue and several other issues. My thoughts are to leave it the same (3 departments) for now and I think that is what is going to happen until January when the subject will be revisited again. I listened for way too long one chief saying that volunteers are being burned out due to the high call volume. Also, the fact that most of the time the 3rd department was cancelled about the time they get going good and this frustrated a bunch of people. My idea was to dispatch 2 departments on all structure fires and as soon as a person with a walkie stated "smoke showing" or "working fire" EOC would automatically dispatch the 3rd department. Well a crew leader from communications was at the meeting and stated he may be busy on 911 by himself in communications and not hear that radio traffic. Then it would be a long delay until the 3rd department was alerted. As far as educating dispatchers, I would not get too excited about that. They are asking 3 questions now. Do you see smoke? Do you see Flames? Is there anyone in the building? The dispatching has not changed no policies have changed if they answer "no" to all the questions it is still going to be a 3 department response. The caller "stating my house is on fire" equals a 3 department response and come to find out they started there furnace for the first time in 3 years. With the dispatchers we have now, it must be in black and white. Either dispatch 3 departments or dispatch 2 departments. There is no amount of education that would allow them to think on there own.
Sorry about my other post, it was written in a hurry. One option that is being kicked around is EOC going to a dispatch system for fires that is much like their system for medical calls. I am not sure what I think about that, but I am sure there will be some discussion over that!
That system is called the EFD system and it is the same process as EMD dispatching. We use this sytem in Lincoln Co. and i'm not sure if it has helped or not. One major con of the EFD system is that it is very expensive and we all know what that means!!!
I don't really mind the 3 department thing until they come back to say "caller states a pot on the stove was on fire but they think it's out"..... ok, let's not attempt using common sense. I know some have it and some don't, so systems have to be made for those that don't. Would the EFD thing really help and do you think burke county would seriously put the money in it?
I think the EFD thing is a possibility if rules change and allow 911 money to be used for this purpose. There is talk of the rules changing and it is being worked on. No Burke County would not put money from the general fund in it. Under the current system your call above would get a 3 department response, I don't agree with that either.
Do you guys really think that is the reason volunteer firefighters are getting burnt out in certain departments? I think there's got to be some other reason. Structure fires don't really come out that much. I don't know. I agree that a grease fire on the stove that's been extinguished should not get a 3 department response(or more than a 1 department response for that matter), but I don't think 2 or 3 department responses is going to be the key to keeping the guys interested...
Absolutely NOT, I can only speak for our department, our guys and girls are as happy as pigs in mud when we are busy. When we have periods were it is real slow, attendence at meetings and training decreases, rumors start, people start trouble, etc. If one person n a department is burned-out and does not want to respond that usually is not a problem until it is the Chief of the department.....hint....hint
We don't run 1000 calls a year but I feel like if burn out were an issue it's probably going to be in an area where you make the most runs like medical calls. Not saying medical calls are bad but if you have people getting burned out responding to structure fires (possible structure fires) you may have bigger problems with those folks.
Ohhhh I so agree with you guys!!! I never get tired of running structure fires, and I haven't met too many people that do...Jason, I think you might be on to something there! haha

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service