Out of all the many careers choices, opportunities and rewarding experiences, would you want your son or daughter to become a firefighter?  

Firefighting is one of the most self less jobs around.  It takes loyalty and trust that is hard to find in any other career.  If your son or daughter said that they wanted to be firefighters, would you say "Absolutely!"

Views: 1164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well I have 4 daughters and one son, would I like them to be? Well I feel what ever job they wish, should be for them to decide. The only thing I stress is get an education, for myself a highschool drop out, who shot his military carrer out the window. Knows how hard it is today to get a good job with out it, I am now getting my GED. As well as looking into some more fire related classes as well as my Associates in criminal law. So I feel as a parent we should all stress their education first then discuss jobs. For in this tech era you realy got to know your stuff to get ahead. For it is sad when my 6 yr old knows how to run a comp and other electronics and I am still learnen to use windows. I think there are others on here who can relate to this, we are liven in diff times.
As long as my kids do thier very bestat whatever they do and are happy with that career then that is all I can ask for. My youngest daughter, (6 years old) has changed her mind several times, I keep telling her she has a long time still to decide.
My oldest son has always had a passion for the fire service. Always wanted to come down to the volly house with me for work details and when I worked as a CFR FF on a WiANG base he loved visiting and riding in the crash truck and running the roof turret. I am a career FF in a suburb of Milwaukee and he has done ride alongs down there with my crew a few times. He is a volly in our town and a member of the third service EMS in the next town over. He is a sponge and taking all the training he can get hoping to get hired full time somewhere.

My youngest son while proud of me being a firefighter has different aspirations. He wants to be a scientist and is a far above average student in pretty much all of his subjects. I support his choice and I am doing whatever I can to help him get to his goal.

The point with a career, whether in the fire service or not, is to be happy at what you do. That happiness usually comes rom doing what you decide for yourself what you want to do. Life is too dang long to suffer through a miserable job for the rest of your life.

Support the kids no matter what path they take, they need that, and the love and support of their parents.
I would want my children to be anything they want....All that I would ask is that whatever it be they aspire to be the best that they can possibly be....nothing more, nothing less. If it makes them happy to sling burgers at Mickey Dee's (God forbid...LOL) then that's fine with me....I just want them to be happy.
Both my sons have my blessing to be anything they want to be. When I think of all the wasted time and mindless things I did to attempt to impress my father.....

But that's old baggage.

TCSS

Reg
it is there descision i wouldnt realy care but me and my other half are in different fire depts so which ever dept they chose would be okay woth the both of us
Not yet you aren't....Still a Jr........ 8)
My son wasn't interested. He's a salesman. Next chance...Maybe a grandson???
Honestly bro, i wish my future kids would follow in the steps i am taking now, but in the end, whatever makes them happy is all i would want for them.
I wanted him to do what he whated and next thing I know he's a paid firefighter, been in for 8 years and has made LT. The best is 2 days ago he made me a grandad. He's always made me happy and has always gave his job his all.
yes , He was for a short time , thin went to Marines . Went to Iraq 3 times. Would you want them to be a Marine, LOL
I'm the proud Father of 3 Sons, 16, 18 & 19. Whatever they decide, I'll back them 100%. Stay safe!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service