i posted this in one of my groups but didnt really get much help.but anyways i was wonderin how do i become a Wildland firefighter.i would like todo at least part time for N.C. in a couple years and was wonderin what kind of certifications would i need and more?

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Basic wildland training is approx. 40 hrs. You need to take S-130 Firefighter Training, S-190 Intro to fire behavior, L-180 Human factors on the fireline and I-100 Intro to ICS. Standards for survival is part of the S-130. You will also have to take the pack test. 3 mile hike with a 45# pack in 45 min. This will get you your TypeII firefighter quals. Also you will need someone to track and issue you the red card. This can be your agency.
the courses that jim mentioned are correct. You will also need to complete the FFT2 task book .
the full qualifications for various positions are available at the NWCG web site . the have a PMS 417 (?) document that goes through all the qualifications. Now generally these are what required for federal and contract firefighters. State and local firefighters may require something different. If you are in a structural department there is also teh crosswalk program that is available.
ok thanks for the help

Reply to Discussion


FireRescue Magazine

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2021   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service