One of the coolest things I have ever received in the mail, ever... arrived at my house a couple of days ago. It was from one of the friends I made here on the FFN, and he is from France, where he works as a professional firefighter. Like many firefighters, we both like fire service related things and are involved with trading things back and forth. What amazed me however, was the functional design that I saw first hand. 

Up to this point, I have only seen photographs of french firefighters wearing a very unfamiliar fire helmet style. To be honest, I blew off the design because they just did not look like fire helmets. After having the chance to actually wear one, I offer the following insight for those, like myself, who never have had the chance to see what our brothers and sisters across the Atlantic wear for head and face protection.

The world just keeps getting smaller... I invite everyone to take the time to get to know others around the world with the spirit of sharing and providing the most up to date training and response information available. We are not alone, we have each other.

Prenez garde à rester en sécurité, (TCSS)

CBz

The Casque Pompier (Fire Helmet):

Built in Safety Goggles:

Fire Helmet Protective Visor / Heat Shield:

View Through Fire Helmet Protective Visor / Heat Shield:

Fire Helmet Heat Shield:

05-25-2010 Update: I made direct contact today with MSA and spoke with one of two sales reps that have knowledge of the French Gallet F1-SF Firefighter Helmet. Here's what I learned:

• These "French" fire helmets are manufactured by MSA, which is 100% USA owned and is based internationally out of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 

• MSA bought out the french company Gallet 7-8 years ago, which included this helmet design and manufacturing rights.

• Existing USA style fire helmets are rated to no more than 1500˚F, while this particular style is rated to 1800˚F. Why more? The same technology used by NASA for astronaut helmets visors are incorporated into this design. Both the helmet and face shield reflect the heat, keeping the interior of the helmet cool, with maximum interior helmet temperatures reaching around 95˚F.

• The existing F1-SF helmet does not meet NA standards as mentioned in one of the posts. However, there is such a demand now for this style that MSA is working on providing a NA approved helmet that has the same features but also possesses the necessary impact standards.

• What we are looking at is a glimpse of what the 21st century firefighters are going to be wearing, internationally...

Views: 65094

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here´s a link to brochure to helmet which is becoming most used helmet here in Finland:

http://www.rosenbauer.com/tools/cms_media.php?USER=3479e59b96226f18...

It´s more open than Gallet. So FF hears radio and and partners voice better.

I like this Rosenbauer Heros Extreme more than Gallet.

Some photos of Heros in calls and in training
to the firefighter who said that US firefighters are the what did he call it "superstars of the firefighting world" wow what a arrogant attitude ! just a point ,the British Institute of Fire Engineers who have been in the business of fire suppression for a very long time in fact over a hundred years and despite the invasion in many countries of NFPA 1001 ( yes i have done FF 1 and 2 ) there are still many countries where the IFE qualifications are still in use as for the helmet not bieng american , well that makes no sense considering we are living in a global world despite some attitudes that North America is the only continent that matters, the helmet has its advantages and disadvantages my helmet is american in design and manufacture because i like the product and it works for me not because of the made in the USA lable and yes the so called traditional design is what works well for me it is comfortable and sits well and it protects me well enough but consider this they have worked well enough for a good number of years in your country so as you americans like to say "IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!"
Please tell me you are kidding!!!
Sorry to bust your bubble, but being french is not a separate race
Have another look:
"race /reis/, n. 1. group of people or a population connected by common descent, blood, or heredity."
'Race' does not have to have anything to do with skin colour. The "heredity" part covers people from a different country to your own.

Having said that, I took WestPhilly's comment a being humorous.
Found picture of helmet what was in use during 1990 - 98.
Cromwell firepro. Brittish desing.

Good, Bad, or Indifferent, most people in North America are indoctrinated from very early childhood with a certan image of a Firefighter, and a very big part of that image is the fire helmet.

That said, to most Northt Americans (Canadian and U.S. Citizens alike), the Jet Style, or Euro Style, fire helmet simply looks "wrong." It may perform just as well, perhaps better than the "NA Style" helmet we've known here for over 200 years, but it doesn't "look right" to us.

If the Jet Style helmet does out-perform the NA Style helmets, than eventually NFPA, OSHA and CanOSH will begin to adopt features of the the Jet Style helmet...if not the entire design...in future standards. An example which could be adopted by NFPA and/or OSHA in the U.S. might be, "3/4 head coverage." Another might be "incorporated full-face heat shield."

I doubt either of those will be adopted anytime soon, but as with other new technologies, which were dismissed early on, I think we will see more and more of this style helmet being placed into service in North America in the future, and the next generation will have an totally different mental picture of what a Firefighter looks like.

In the meantime, I still wear a Cairns Metro 660 when I'm on a call.

Just a thought.

Greenman
Does anyone remember when only Spacemen and SCUBA Divers wore airpacks?

:-)

Greenman
One does what one can...
Shaun,

I strongly recommend that you wear your chin strap. Doing otherwise is asking to loose your helmet just crawling around in a fire building.

The best way to avoid falling through floors is to sound the floor before putting your body weight on it. If you don't fall through the floor, the chinstrap issue you brought up is moot.

Some firefighters are too quick to focus on a rare incident and inplement a fix for the rarities than actually increase the danger from much more common hazards. Not wearing your chin strap is one of those things.
C'mon Jack, you are asking for an objective answer to a subjective statement.

Don't be surprised by whatever the answer is...

It could be fun to watch, though.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service