just wondering why because that stereotype thing got me wondering so anybody got any ideas i wont take offense to any of them there ansewers yall might give to me hahahaha jk lol

Views: 2898

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's about time some one else besides me knows what a real red neck is,and to be more specific they were standing up against unionization of the mines and they wore red bandannas around there necks to signify who they were.
Got Cow?
In tears on this one!
I live in Florida, and the funny thing is we have to travel North to hear the Southern Draw.
If ya all knew where the term "redneck" really comes from they would and should be proud to be a "redneck". A group of miners that stood for what they believed,they were standing up against unionization of the mines and they wore red bandannas around there neck to signify who they were.hence forth the term redneck
I want one..... Jealous!!!!!
Up in my neck of the woods the tree don't fork
I think I am going to need a transport after this one..... I am literally in tears from laughter and my sides are splitting!
I am from Wyoming, and I met a guy going to school here who was a fireman from missouri. He had a big confederate flag sticker on his helmet.
Allen;

Actually, you're wrong on both counts. Redneck was first a term to describe poor white southern farmers.
Later it was appropriated by coal miners that were TRYING to unionize.

From here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck

A citation from 1893 provides a definition as "poorer inhabitants of the rural districts...men who work in the field, as a matter of course, generally have their skin burned red by the sun, and especially is this true of the back of their necks".

By 1900, "rednecks" was in common use to designate the political coalitions of the poor white farmers in the South.

Indeed, by 1910, the political supporters of the Mississippi politician James K. Vardaman--chiefly poor white farmers—began to describe themselves proudly as "rednecks," even to the point of wearing red neckerchiefs to political rallies and picnics

The United Mine Workers of America (UMW) and rival miners' unions appropriated both the term redneck and its literal manifestation, the red bandana, in order to build multiracial unions of white, black, and immigrant miners in the strike-ridden coalfields of northern and central Appalachia between 1912 and 1936.

The earliest printed uses of the word red-neck in a coal-mining context date from the 1912-1913 Paint and Cabin Creeks strike in southern West Virginia and from the 1913-1914 Trinidad District strike in southern Colorado.

The origin of redneck to mean "a union man" or "a striker" remain uncertain, but according to linguist David W. Maurer, the former definition of the word probably dates at least to the 1910s, if not earlier. The use of redneck to designate "a union member" was especially popular during the 1920s and 1930s in the coal-producing regions of southern West Virginia, eastern Kentucky, and western Pennsylvania, where the word came to be specifically applied to a miner who belonged to a union.
I think there might be a good discussion in this. Not just why do we drive pickups with oversized tires or chew tobacco, but also to the composition and purpose of many volunteer fire departments, be it North, South, East, or West. Are we there to fight fires and help the community, being serious firefighting professionals, or is it just a "Good Ole Boy's Club"?
What is the image you are projecting?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service