This is a simple awareness post that in my opinion, can be very useful for half the countries fire departments at a minimum... Only 43 out of 50 states have the option to purchase specialized fire department vehicle license plates for their personal vehicles. In many cases, money spent for these special license plates are earmarked for specific charities or things designed to help out fallen firefighters families. For those 7 states that do not have a vanity plate for firefighters, I ask why not? Again, this is another way to get both recognition in a quiet / non-emergency lights and whacker looking vehicles kind of a way. And you might be able to help someone out. Just a thought...  

Another option that to be frank, surprised me was the lack of dedicated license plates identifying volunteer firefighters. Only New Mexico appears to have a license plate that is for volunteer firefighters. Considering that the majority of firefighters are volunteer department related, seems to me that this would be appropriate, but that's just my opinion. Chances are, you might not have even thought about it until now... And, maybe folks might not want to be differentiated from volunteer verses full time paid, not that it really matters. What's your opinion?

Bonus Question: Which states do not have firefighter license plates?

TCSS, 

CBz

The following states (43) have firefighter license plates.

1. Alabama
  2. Arizona
  3. Arkansas
  4. California
  5. Colorado
  6. Connecticut
  7. Delaware
  8. Florida
  9. Georgia
  10. Hawaii
  11. Idaho
  12. Illinois
  13. Indiana
  14. Iowa
  15. Kentucky
  16. Louisiana
  17. Maryland
  18. Massachusetts
  19. Maine
  20. Maryland
  21. Michigan
  22. Minnesota
  23. Mississippi
  24. Montana
  25. New Jersey
  26. New Mexico
  27. New York
  28. Nevada
  29. North Carolina
  30. Ohio
  31. Oklahoma
  32. Oregon
  33. Pennsylvania
  34. South Carolina
  35. South Dakota
  36. Tennessee
  37. Texas
  38. Utah
  39. Virginia
  40. Washington
  41. West Virginia
  42. Wisconsin
  43. Wyoming

There is of course a chance that my research was not exactly thorough. I admit it right up front, but this is as good as I can do without additional input from others. Please let me know if your state is already providing the option for firefighters to purchase firefighter vanity plates.

Note: Thank you "PL8MAN" Buddy Harris!  Please note that Buddy is trying to complete his collection of fire department license plates for real...   Click here to see more license plates, but none of the ones that are still missing from this discussion post.

Updated: April 10, 2010

Views: 12677

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Vermont does have firefighter plates.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by