So we had a very in depth discussion about this at a drill last night.

When is the best time to charge the line?
Some people say charge it at the front door, some say outside the door to the fire room, still others say once the pump operator can't see the hose team, they should charge the line.

What's everyone else's take on this?

Views: 592

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Everyone has a radio going in on my departments too, but that's not to say that there are never "technical difficulties." Some departments only give one radio per team. If the one radio given to the hose team fails, you don't want them sitting without water.
If your entering a single family wood constuction I would charge the hoseline at the front door. I have read material on this subject written by Ray McCormack - FDNY and he stated always to enter with a charged hoseline. I believe you can find the atricles on fire engineering web site.

I would however wait to charge the hoseline if I was entering any multi family 3 + story dwelling, for the simple reason is that it is easier to stretch a dry line up stairs than a charged line, with the limited manpower most of us have.
If there is a problem with the truck, pump or pump operator, you would want to know that PRIOR to entering the hazardous atmosphere.
Taking a charged hose line is added protection. It's there in case Murphy shows up.
When you charge the line at the door, you can have the valve to the pre-connect open and the engineer can gate down the pressure to the hose and then when you want enough pressure to really go after something, you can tell him to take the pressure up.
If the interior is reaching flashover or for some reason a smoke explosion occurs, those of you advocating WAITING to charge the line could very possibly add to you department's manpower shortage.
I want water before my pump operator goes off chasing butterflies.
TCSS.
Art
Makes sense. I would want the added protection of having water in case the crap hits the fan in a hurry. Try being one of those guys who brought the dry line inside and the fire starts rolling over your head. In the time it takes for you to get water from the pump you could be in a world of hurt.

On a multi story (3 or more) home it does make sense to have a dry line. When your on the landing before the fire floor, it's time to get water.
Our policy is charge it at the door...that way the attack team is not going inside without some protection......Have heard others say different but in thought I like the way we do it.....Paul
Never take a dry line into a single family dwelling unless its a MCmansion (VERY large single family structure) everything else depends on location of the fire and how the occupancy is layed out.
We charge the line when we reach the fire, work smarter not harder!
And what do you do then if something goes horribly wrong and you still don't have any water?

Unless it's a multistory building, charge it before you make entry.
I personally think charging it at the front door is the best idea. If I am going into a building with fire, I want a charged line with me god forbid something goes wrong, or there is something that someone missed. Or say you find someone and you need to protect them. I'm a newbie and have yet to see my first fire, so maybe I am wrong, but to me that is what I would want.
Why is it even a question?
Your turnout gear isn't going to protect you in a high heat environment.
Water will. That's a fact.
If you aren't going into residential and small commercial with a charged line, then you are an injury/death waiting to happen.
"Man's got to make a livin'." - Bounty Hunter
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin'." - Josey Wales
I agree.
TCSS.
Art
So by your reasoning a truck crew who enters a building w/o a charged hand line is an injury or death waiting to happen? I
For residential or small commercial, you are rolling the dice.
At these types of structures, I believe a truck company would be going to their vent positions and throwing ladders. If conditions permit, they might do a quick primary search. Maybe.
At a high rise, the truckies would go to their vent positions and search above the fire floor, but the team ON the fire floor, I will guarantee will have a hose. This is based on my limited knowledge from what I have read on the subject.
Small departments do not have truck, engine and ladder companies. They have combination trucks manned by firefighters who are delayed to the fire since they don't man the station 24/7. So, the fire will grow, making it more dangerous to enter without first venting and getting water on it to reduce the chances for a flashover or smoke explosion.
If your SOG says to enter without a hose, I would talk to whomever wrote it. Chances are they have no eyebrows or earlobes. Look closely at them and then CHANGE the SOG!
TCSS.
Art

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service