I have something that concerns me and I have got to get this out. The other day I went to take a PT test to see if I could get on as a fulltime firefighter at a nearby county fire dept. I felt good when I got there.. Well they was useing this vest not sure how much the thing weighed?? But it was the heaveist thing I have ever put on in my life!! I have been in the fire service for 18 years and being in fullturnout gear with an SCBA on would not be as heavy as this vest!! I didnt even get halfway through the course until I went down , I gave out!! And to those of you who think I am a whimp , let me assure you I am not I am in good physical condition, besides being in the fire service for 18 years i have also worked and lived on on a farm so I am used to heavy work!! But this vest should not be used in the fire service , I wasnt the only one haveing trouble with it!! I am also a safety officer with the volunteer dept I am with and like I said fire gear and SCBA weighs less than this vest!! I know depts need the testing but use a firecoat and an SCBA with actual wieght not these vest!!!!!! The idea in new SCBA design and also fire gear design is to make it so it has less wieght on a firefighter than to add weight to them , the less weight you can place on a firefighter the better they can perform there jobs and reduce firefighter fatigue.. If you ask me this vest is just asking for a lawsuit!! If memebers want to use it to do weight traing in and then let them use it but dont make it a mandatory thing!!

Views: 1513

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"...FORGET ALL THE TIME A PERSON PUTS INTO TRAINING AND THROW IT OUT THE WINDOW JUST BECAUSE THEY CANT PASS A PHYSICAL TESTING!!??? "
Yup...exactly. If you can't pass the physical testing you have no business going any further...well, at least in a paid department.
Boy, you just don't like to be told to grow a set do you?
True.... You can't fix stupid.....
At what? Being an ignorant dick?
Right, and on the fireground they make you spend 10 minutes on the stair master and pull a dummy around.
Sheesh, what a dumbass, can't pass and so instead of training and preparing, pisses and moans that it isn't fair.
Or in the volunteer....
You should be able to pass it in any gear that they give you. Unless you think you are too good to work for it.
Just remember.... When you enter my country.... I am woman and my set is much bigger than yours....
The Forest Service pack test is a 45 lb. pack in work clothes and boots for a 3 mile hike in 45 minutes or less.No running or jogging,just walking.Have to redo it every year.It isn't a piece of cake.Trainig right now for the 2011 test at the end of March.And yes,I'm also a structure guy,so I'm not blowing smoke.Got to be in shape.Leading cause of death in firefighters is cardiac issues.I don't plan on being on that list.
Letting folks get under your skin that easy isn't a good thing man.Calm down and take a breath.
You know what dude, you are not worth my time. Come to my neck of the woods and I will squash you like a bug.
If he can.....
Ricky,
You had a RIGHT to an education and you squandered that, what makes you think you would succeed, much less have a RIGHT to a job as a firefighter?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service