(AP) MARLBORO, Vt.
A Vermont firefighter responding to a car accident died when a fire truck rolled over him as it was backing up.

Police say John Horton, Marlboro Fire Department assistant chief, responded to a single car rollover Thursday afternoon. He and the fire truck driver, Anthony Gordon, decided to move the truck out of the way for an ambulance.

Police say Gordon saw Horton in his rear view mirror and backed up. He said he didn't see Horton again, and pulled the truck forward. When Gordon exited the truck, that's when police say he saw Horton lying on the ground.

The 51-year-old Horton, of Marlboro, was taken to Brattleboro Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

An autopsy was scheduled for Friday.

Related

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Views: 410

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Latest Update:

Marlboro (VT) Assistant Fire Chief John "Jack" Horton, who died in the Line of Duty Thursday, according to local media: probably suffered some sort of medical problem that caused him to collapse behind Engine No. 2 as it was backing up.

"All of the evidence in the state police investigation, in conjunction with the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, suggest that the assistant chief was down in the roadway before receiving any of the traumatic injuries he received," said Vermont State Police Sgt. Michael Sorensen. "At this time, it looks as though it was a tragic accident."

Chief Horton was run over by the inside rear wheel of the fire truck, according to the state police report, but there is no evidence he was actually knocked down by the vehicle.
our thoughts and prayers to the family,
thoughts and prayers go out to all involved..
Mark,

I suppose you never backed a truck up without a ground guide before. Better yet, you were able to see your ground guide at all times and never continued back, right?

Sir, I was fortunate to have worked with the man who died when I was first entering the fire service. Before we use words such as stupid, perhaps we should think about who is reading our entries. I know there is a firefighter in Marlboro, Vermont who is wondering if there is anything he could have done to prevent this accident. What he is having trouble dealing with is the evidence is pointing to a massive coronary event being the cause of Chief Horton's disappearing behind the apparatus and Firefighter Gordon will never know if he could have done something or not.

I'm confident that you meant no disrespect by your comment, but please remember to be sensative to our brothers.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service