What tools if any Do you carry on your helmet at all times

Views: 7025

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Holy water, wooden stakes, silver bullets... Because you never know when you'll run into a vampire or a zombie during a structure fire!
Don't forget your copy of The Zombie Survival Guide.
That's in my left cargo pocket, right alongside the garlic and wolfsbane.
my id tags and gloves every thing else i need is in my pockets or on the truck
Well i carry a folding carpet knife on one side and a garity lifelight on the other(for balance). Inside i carry a set of safety glasses wrapped in a spare nomex. With that i have to say i dont use my helmet light, it has long sence been melted beyond recognition. I find it reduces visibility in heavy smoke.

With my department, making use of your fire helmet to attach other items never has been the culture. From a structure fire to a motor vehicle accident, to whatever else working an all risk department never lent itself well to accessorize our helmets.

Off the top of my head (pun intended) putting anything on your helmet was considered an unnecessary risk and safety violation because we have our own rescue helicopters. Having something held on to your helmet using a rubber band could cause hundreds of thousands of dollars to the helicopter blades or intake... Risk verses benefit...

Another note here is the liability issues. One firefighter who had plastic lettering applied to the rear of his helmet ended up with severe burns from the melting plastic onto his neck. Nomex / Aramid fiber hoods were in place but regardless, the judgement was against the fire department for not enforcing OSHA rules that nothing can be attached or placed onto the helmet.

Less is more...

CBz

I have a garrity light in a rubber band but that's it. The rest of it I don't feel comfortable with but I think it would take a lot to pull that light out unless the rubber band melts, which is why I don't go with the more expensive lights. I can't see melting a 100 dollar light but 10 dollars isn't all that bad LOL.
If you are not hassled by dealing with ducking under the props, then no worry... You know I support you Mike and will always cheer you on (speaking of accessorizing)!

CBz

sorry about the video not working... technical problems...
Amen Brother!
LMAO CBZ you never cease to amaze me with the pics you find. So far I've not gotten snagged on anything (knock on wood) but I have a traditional Bullard so I figure the front or the brim would get snagged before the Garrity will. By the way I love the traditional helmets and would love to get my hands on a leather when I can afford it.
Well said sir well said!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service