I was so very disapointed not long ago when I watched an attempt by firefighters to gain access to a attic space. It only needed 4 fireman and three attempts to get the job done. How many dept. practice ladder work? Do depts. really lack in trainning the basics,Have depts. lost themselves to trainning what is cool or the latest craze? How do your depts. teach the fundamentals?

Views: 286

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe that you MUST train continually on basics in order to be able to operate with any type of proficency or skill. If you don't practice the basics, yes, you will get rusty and it will take longer to complete your task. To answer the question, yes, we practice ladder skills and we have been reaping the benefits on scene too. Our members are throwing ladders without being told and are placing them in very strategic places. Remember, we must walk ( basics ), before we can run ( specialized/advanced training ). Some will say its boring, I tend to disagree, there are so many different levels of experience in most depts that you can learn from each other and make it competetive and fun to. Stay safe and Stay low.
Our new firefighters get over 500 hours of initial training in fire ops with at least 40 being in ground ladders. They also have to pass state skill stations individually in order to pass Fire 1 and 2 (Fire 2 and Tidewater Regional Fire Academy are our minimum standard).
We work 10 days a month and of that approx 2 hours a day has to be training in both fire and EMS.
We have the same issues that a lot of other departments do but minimum competencies are usually not a problem...
Please dont let the comments lead you astray. Most depts. train on a regular basis and do so properly. Most fire depts. follow s.o.p. when it comes to training. Most are regulated by state fire marshals and ect. to meet standards. E.M.S. is also regulated. Glad to see you and I hope your experience in the fire service is a rewarding one.
G.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service