I have a problem... sometimes I take comments to personnaly. Therefore, when, about a year ago, I heard about a citizen complaining about the fact the fire truck was going too fast in front of her house, I took it personally. We are always driving too fast, making too much noise for nothing, but when it's their call, it always is too long before we get there, or we moved too many persons for that kind of call...

Now, I want to know, Have you ever faced that kind of situation. How have you delt with it? I think  that the more we go out and speak with people the better it will be but maybe some of you have different suggestions.

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Someone else's emergency doesn't give us the right to violate laws of any kind. When we put the same public at risk that we swore to protect, we cross that line into a world where we think we are special, different and the exception.
We serve our fire departments at the pleasure of our citizens. If they have a concern, they need to talk to the chief. I don't think that it is a wise idea to address them personally. Unless you have training as a PIO, the chief should answer complaints. Otherwise; the wrong things might be said, the issues could escalate and the next thing you know, there will be more complaints, including new ones about the "firefighter who cussed me out".
Setting a bad example will not do a lot for your recruitment program.
Keep it positive; especially when dealing with the public.
Remember; YOU work for THEM!
Good point about keeping things positive. I agree with you about not to violate the law.

But trust me, I know I'm no God. Many guys I know think because they are firefighters they are stronger and better than any one else. But that ain't true....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service