I just saw on my local news that a fire dept. in a neighboring county was dispatched to a chimney fire at a house 8 miles away from their station, while a fire dept. within, what the anchor said was "walking distance" was never even dispatched. The reason? Some sort of dispute between the supervisors of two townships. The story didn't explain more, but the bottom line is some homeowner could have lost property and life due to a "dispute" of people who are supposed to be looking after his or her best interest. I think it's disgusting. Has anyone else dealt with anything like this?

Views: 297

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When we had a dispute with our power-hungry township trustee we had over half of the dept. turn in their gear and pagers and just walk out. This was done after she voided our election of our Assistant Chief last year. She had hard feelings towards the guy who actually won the election. We thought we voted in the right guy for the job. She thought differently. How can you go wrong with a man that has 26 yrs. experience on the same department? This year we vote for Chief, 1st Capt. and 2 board members. I'm thinking of running for Chief becasue everyone is pushing for me to do it, but I don't think she will let it happen. He has been the Chief as long as she has been the trustee.
Update on the dispute

CAIRNBROOK — Ignoring warnings by residents that they were splitting the community, Shade Township supervisors Thursday forged a five-year deal with the Richland Township Fire Department for a satellite site in Cairnbrook.

At a heated meeting in which most of the 75 residents wanted the township to keep its longstanding agreement with the neighboring Central City Fire Department, the board inked a five-year deal with Richland for $23,700 per year.

The Richland department will supply a tanker to the township and equip up to 10 volunteers with breathing apparatus and apparel. Shade will supply the volunteer manpower and a garage by the township building.

A 750-gallon tanker will be in the township by this weekend with a replacement 1,000-gallon truck expected within a few weeks. The tanker will sport Richland Township Fire Department decals.

Central City firefighters wanted $26,840 from Shade this year, and cited rising costs of equipment and training. Shade would have paid another $5,000 on top of that for worker’s compensation. The township had said it would pay the Central City company $17,100.

Raw feelings between the two sides reached a tipping point in early September when Central City firefighters refused to answer calls to Shade Township.

“We will no longer let the community be held hostage,” Shade Supervisors Chairman John Topka told the overflow crowd at the special meeting.

He said Central City firefighters – who recently decided to refuse to answer calls in the township over the money dispute – “turned their back on us.”

Topka noted the Central City company has $125,000 in the bank. Central City Fire Chief Dale Russian said the 55-member company is always saving for the next piece of equipment.

Russian said afterward he was “shocked and disappointed” by the supervisors’ unanimous decision.

He said Central City firefighters would be meeting over the next few weeks to decide where the company stands. Russian said 90 percent of the company’s calls were to Shade and – now that that is gone – the company will sell a fire truck.

Others speculated that, over time, Shade would overtake Central City as the dominant department in the region.

Topka said eight qualified firefighters already are signed up for the new volunteer force, two others will take training and a few more have expressed interest.

A Richland Township fire truck also will be dispatched any time the Cairnbrook truck rolls out.

Despite the supervisors’ reasoning, speakers complained that they were jeopardizing fire response and throwing away decades of goodwill just to save a few dollars. Residents urged them to open talks with Central City firefighters for 48 hours.

Resident Maria Timulak pleaded for a compromise: “Someone’s going to die. It’s time to put personal biases aside and work together.”

Another speaker, to wide applause, said “God bless the Central City Fire Department.”

And George Bestvina said, “For $9,000, why are we here?”

Supervisors candidate Robert Frisbie Jr. told the board, “If you turn your back on Central City (fire), you have failed in your jobs.” He then walked out.

But Topka and the board would not reconsider.

The Windber, Scalp Level-Paint and Shanksville firefighters said they would end service to Shade on Nov. 1, and supervisors said they had to act now.

The exchanges grew heated as Topka threatened to have police remove residents who talked out of turn. The police talked to resident Bob Weyandt but he was allowed to stay.

At one point, Donna Russian, the fire chief’s wife, spoke in defense of the Central City company.

Topka shot back, “Ask your husband why he turned his back on us.”

Russian, struggling to maintain her composure and with her voice rising, replied, “I’m really tired of you taking potshots at my husband.”

Topka sharply addressed others who spoke out of turn, “I have the floor. You don’t have the floor.”

Topka and Chief Russian sparred over whether residents’ fire insurance costs would rise.

Topka said no, but Russian said they might, perhaps significantly.

In an interview at the Scalp Avenue department, Richland Assistant Fire Chief Jason Ober decried what he saw as greed by the Central City volunteers.

“The wants and the needs of the volunteer fire department, they’re two different things,” he said. “Take care of your residents and be thankful. We don’t threaten our community. Volunteer firemen are out of control.

“We didn’t go out looking for this (contract).”

Ober said the 2,680 Shade residents will be paying their fair share as the number of people under Richland’s wing now reaches 17,000. He said Shade encompasses 9.7 percent of the company’s protection area.

“(Richland) taxpayers need to know they’re being adequately reimbursed,” he said.
Sounds like a case of we want our trucks on scene 1st! We deal with this issue in our area

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service